OpenTTD source migration and other changes

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD source migration and other changes

Post by Eddi »

i'm pretty sure that's what i said.
Eddi wrote:nightly versions are currently unavailable, until the compile infrastructure is updated.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

So 6 months since TrueBrain posted this thread (April 2018)

What's the go now?
  • 244 commits since April 2018
  • compared to 135 commits April 2017-March 2018
  • 127 merged github pull requests since April 2018
  • compared to prior to April 2018, just a lot of patches rotting on Flyspray, or in forums dev section
  • since April 2018 many bug fixes, and also substantial features like increased railtype and cargo limits
  • compared to mostly just translation updates in 2017 (thanks translators though!)
Conclusion: core dev is much more fun and is (1) attracting contributions (2) contributions are getting actually merged to trunk.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

What else?
Conclusion: (1) clone Truebrain (2) infra contributors wanted

So. Infra stuff is pretty cool. There are good problems to solve, and interesting technologies to work with. We have all the very best buzzwords: cloud, kubernetes, docker, github actions, CI, jenkins etc etc. And some goals that would push the current state of OpenTTD far far forward. Also a new website. :twisted: Want to help?

YES I WANT TO HELP

Ok. Cool :D

https://github.com/OpenTTD/
https://wiki.openttd.org/IRC_channel
Last edited by andythenorth on 18 Oct 2018 20:08, edited 7 times in total.
Xaroth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xaroth »

andythenorth wrote: Conclusion: (1) clone Truebrain
You know this would be a very, very dangerous course of action? I mean, we can only barely manage to contain one of them, imagine if there were two
Lead Manager of OpenDUNE
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Thank you for the update, Andy! Good to see we are going places.

I have to agree about cloning TrueBrain... Quite a frightening proposition!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Xaroth wrote:we can only barely manage to contain one of them, imagine if there were two
If there were two of them, that would be getting out of hand!
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
andythenorth wrote:So. Infra stuff is pretty cool. There are good problems to solve, and interesting technologies to work with. We have all the very best buzzwords: cloud, kubernetes, docker, github actions, CI, jenkins etc etc.
Ahem, you forgot the blockchain. We need something with blockchain [1] at all cost! ;-)
andythenorth wrote:Also a new website. :twisted: Want to help?
Yes, I want to help.

Tschö, Auge

[1]: Bingo!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

We have the best buzzwords, so many buzzwords!
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Well, it really sounds like the project has come to life a bit again. Close to four times the commit rate?
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

oberhümer wrote:Well, it really sounds like the project has come to life a bit again. Close to four times the commit rate?
Yup ;)

As always we could really use a couple more regular contributors for the core game, people who can do the hard yards of understanding a big codebase and being able to review what others do, and do the inevitable bit of politics needed :)

But we could also really get more done with a couple more infra contributors, very high bus factor on Truebrain at the moment, and some of the stuff is pretty standard web-dev / devops / continuous integration projects :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

andythenorth wrote:But we could also really get more done with a couple more infra contributors, very high bus factor on Truebrain at the moment, and some of the stuff is pretty standard web-dev / devops / continuous integration projects :)
I think people would be more eager to help out if some of the tasks were a bit more concrete, and I personally find the GitHub issue and Trello-board do not provide enough information in that regard.

For example, for continuous integration, there is a Trello-card to do Releases via Docker, but that says basically nothing to me as there are multiple ways to look at that. Does that mean some script that just runs the Docker images TrueBrain made to make the builds, or does that mean a Jenkins container that is completely configured, with build pipelines configured for nightly and stable releases (using the same Docker images TrueBrain made)? And what is completely configured, which requirements are on that?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

In the spirit of concrete issues:

Code: Select all

[7:59pm] andythenorth: 'Project: replace config.lib with buzzwords'
[7:59pm] andythenorth:
[7:59pm] TrueBrain: CMake is not a buzzword, but sure 
[8:00pm] andythenorth: is 'bees' a buzzword? 
[8:00pm] frosch123: "make openttd build on windows with cmake and vcpkg"
[8:00pm] TrueBrain: yes
[8:00pm] frosch123: "without openttd-useful"
[8:00pm] TrueBrain: that would seriously improve things
[8:00pm] frosch123: i think someone asked for a more precise task
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Maybe a blog post on the front-page to make folks aware of these issues? I was wondering if the project had died(!!!! :-( ); it wasn't until I dug up this thread that I realised it's on a (probably very long as yet) hold.

Docker and I have a mutual loathing for each other, and my relationship with Jenkins is little better, so I cannot help with the CI stuff.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Moriarty wrote:Maybe a blog post on the front-page to make folks aware of these issues? I was wondering if the project had died(!!!! :-( ); it wasn't until I dug up this thread that I realised it's on a (probably very long as yet) hold.

Docker and I have a mutual loathing for each other, and my relationship with Jenkins is little better, so I cannot help with the CI stuff.
There is a post on the front page of www.openttd.org... from April. And work is not at all on hold, in fact there's been tons of progress made since 1.8.0 was released. It's really just the automated nightly builds that are missing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

jfs wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Maybe a blog post on the front-page to make folks aware of these issues? I was wondering if the project had died(!!!! :-( ); it wasn't until I dug up this thread that I realised it's on a (probably very long as yet) hold.

There is a post on the front page of www.openttd.org... from April. And work is not at all on hold, in fact there's been tons of progress made since 1.8.0 was released. It's really just the automated nightly builds that are missing.
To be honest, somebody's needed to take care of the front page of the website for awhile.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 20 Apr 2018 17:34
TrueBrain wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:I'm a FreeBSD user who fairly recently migrated TO Subversion for tracking ports,and there it's considered the new thing compared to CVSup.
Not the same in application development world?
So if I can make a prediction, in 14 years FreeBSD moves to git :D They are a bit lagging behind it seems ;)

CVS .. that is a long long long long time ago :)

But so yeah, the same, just delayed with a few years :) Most likely for very valid and good reasons. svn2git tools are very good too, so meh :)

PS: 2012 is no longer "recent" .. ;)

Okay, I take my comment back. They migrated in 2012 to SVN. Seems they are not lagging behind that much. Maybe in 2 years to git? :)
Turns out there IS in fact a https://github.com/freebsd for those so inclined but I can't see them outsourcing the central functions.
FreeBSD has just moved the ports collection to github this week.

Return to “General OpenTTD”