Problems compiling nightly source on Mandrake Linux

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Problems compiling nightly source on Mandrake Linux

Post by lucaspiller »

Ok I am trying to compile the latest nightly source on Mandrake Linux and I am sort of following the how to thing at http://svn.openttd.org/viewcvs.py/*chec ... xt?rev=634.

Are the following dependencies just for subversion? -
- subversion-1.0.1-1mdk (+ dependencies)
- libsvn_ra_svn1_0-1.0.1-1mdk
- because when I do a configure then type "jam" (no quotes) I get a file not found error. I have tried doing ./jam too but that doesn't work. Whenever I try make I get an error saying there is no makefile.

Thanks for your help,

Luca Spiller
Last edited by lucaspiller on 16 Jun 2004 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I don't understand what your problem is. Did you install SVN yet? Did you check the latest source out, using "$ svn co svn://svn.openttd.com/openttd/trunk openttd"? If yes, there should be a file called "Makefile" in the source directory. If there's no such file, then you didn't check the source out yet.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Well I was trying it with the latest nightly source code tree from http://www.openttd.org/nightly/openttd-nightly.tgz. Do I have to get that though instead?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I don't know why you don't just follow the readme, that might be easier. But if you downloaded the nightly tarball, you'll first have to extract it somewhere and then you have to go to that directory. There should be a file called "Makefile". In that directory run "make". What do you get?
- Korenn
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

What I want to know is why running "jam" doesn't work. Is it included in one of those RPMs if so ok?

Running make gives me an error that it can't find "getcwd". :shock: Hmmmmmm, my system must be really screwed up. I will go and see if I can find it somewhere....

I am also downloading TortoiseSVN to get the latest source (downloading it on Windows and copying it to Linux should still work right?) - I don't think it would make any difference though as this does not seem to be a problem with that any more.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I'm not much of a linux expert, but why are you trying to use 'jam' on Mandrake? Just use 'make' as you are supposed to :)

I hope you want to download the source with TortoiseSVN and then copy that to your Mandrake installation, and not trying to run TortoiseSVN itself on linux.

Installing Mandrake on linux is a breeze. Either just use the Mandrake RPM Manager, select SVN and install it, or use apt get. It worked for me on Mandrake10, and that was my first linux installation about a month ago :)
Last edited by Darkvater on 16 Jun 2004 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

What I want to know is why running "jam" doesn't work. Is it included in one of those RPMs if so ok?
Jam is mainly intended for BeOS (another operating system). That's why we have "make" for Linux.
Running make gives me an error that it can't find "getcwd". Shocked Hmmmmmm, my system must be really screwed up. I will go and see if I can find it somewhere....

Your system is not set up as a development system. Did you even install gcc? And I think you might be missing glibc-devel which should include <unistd.h> and the function getcwd().
You won't be able to compile anything without a compiler and the proper libraries.

Refer to a Linux newbie guide or a Linux forum for further information.
- Korenn
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Ok, I don't know why I tried to use "jam", I must have read it somewhere and got confused.

Secondly I have GCC and a glibc-devel RMP installed. After restarting it compiled fine without any problems..... ooooookkkkkkk.......

Thanks for you help anyway (and my stupidity 8) ).

One more quick question though (suppose this should go in a seperate topic), but why is the game limited to only go upto year 2090, are there any technical reasons because if the part of the code is removed that stops it going past, it seems to work fine.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

lucaspiller wrote:One more quick question though (suppose this should go in a seperate topic), but why is the game limited to only go upto year 2090, are there any technical reasons because if the part of the code is removed that stops it going past, it seems to work fine.
This maximum date will probably change with the next release. And it's not as simple as removing the limit. Higher dates (32 bit values, compared to 16 bit values before) must be stored in the save game as well. And we didn't want to have a new savegame version without more changes.
- Korenn

Return to “General OpenTTD”