Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Posts: 26
Hello?
will there be one day servers that use newgrfs ? Open ttd is a great game but there are newgrfs because it's boring after some time.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:41 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Braila, Romania
There are servers who use newgrfs.
Take a look here https://www.openttd.org/en/servers

_________________
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do?
I❤️OTTD


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6307
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Servers can choose the GRFs to use on their servers. So it depends what the server host likes.

A lot don't use GRFs simply because it opens it up to more players who don't have the GRFs.

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
Chairman
Chairman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 864
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
To say, a lot of servers restrict themself to BaNaNaS GRFs as the player doesn't need to search a hour for these.

_________________
All my sprites (in CC or 2CC) are available here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Posts: 26
Redirect Left wrote:
Servers can choose the GRFs to use on their servers. So it depends what the server host likes.

A lot don't use GRFs simply because it opens it up to more players who don't have the GRFs.

Thanks but it takes 3seconds to download automatically these.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Posts: 26
ALEXbr wrote:
There are servers who use newgrfs.
Take a look here https://www.openttd.org/en/servers

Thanks but there are no people on these.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6307
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Jony1(Yosselko) wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:
Servers can choose the GRFs to use on their servers. So it depends what the server host likes.

A lot don't use GRFs simply because it opens it up to more players who don't have the GRFs.

Thanks but it takes 3seconds to download automatically these.

You are assuming people want to download them to start with. A lot of people won't be comfortable trying to play in a server with newgrfs as they'd be at a disadvantage compared to people who know the differences the grfs make.
Simplest thing to do is, start your own server.

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 6109
Location: Eastern KY
Most online server players are playing the game competitively. NewGRFs do not give you any advantage in a competitive game. And many people do not have fast connections. NewGRFs create more data that has to be downloaded and uploaded. So most servers don't include them.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:56 pm
Posts: 26
Redirect Left wrote:
Jony1(Yosselko) wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:
Servers can choose the GRFs to use on their servers. So it depends what the server host likes.

A lot don't use GRFs simply because it opens it up to more players who don't have the GRFs.

Thanks but it takes 3seconds to download automatically these.

You are assuming people want to download them to start with. A lot of people won't be comfortable trying to play in a server with newgrfs as they'd be at a disadvantage compared to people who know the differences the grfs make.
Simplest thing to do is, start your own server.

How do i start a server on open ttd ?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 am 
Offline
Chairman
Chairman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 pm
Posts: 864
Location: Courbevoie, near Paris, France
Go in "Multiplayer Mode", click "Start server" and you can choose between loading a game, be it single-player or saved from multiplayer, starting a new game, loading a scenario or a heightmap.

_________________
All my sprites (in CC or 2CC) are available here.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2018 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2018.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.