Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Hey all,

What's your preference when building track for a high-volume, multiple train, long train (6 tiles+ is long to me, I'm sure someone else will think I'm silly) run of track between two industries? When I just started playing recently I was building one-way track with block signals and path signals to control traffic flow into the station platforms, but I was goofing around on the Wiki and saw the screenshots of bi-directional track with path signals and started messing around with that. Is there a particular advantage to using one style or the other? I like how the bi-directional track allows for re-routing around broken down trains, but I'm having a hard time telling if it's better or worse for traffic in the line.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:37 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I always go for single directional track, since it is easy and consistent. I can see the advantage of bi-directional running, especially with 3 tracks (the middle for overtakes). I should perhaps try it out...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

One-way tracks have higher throughput and will not create gridlocks, which you can get with bidirectional tracks. A bidirectional track is nice if you need some additional capacity next to the one-way tracks but in most cases you are then better of to make 2 additional one-way tracks instead of one bidirectional track.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 am 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I think this would be a good use for entry/exit pre-signals. That would be one way of avoiding gridlock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Gwyd wrote:
I think this would be a good use for entry/exit pre-signals. That would be one way of avoiding gridlock.
They were created before path signals existed. The latter are superior, since they allow several trains in the same block.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:37 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Transportman wrote:
One-way tracks have higher throughput and will not create gridlocks, which you can get with bidirectional tracks. A bidirectional track is nice if you need some additional capacity next to the one-way tracks but in most cases you are then better of to make 2 additional one-way tracks instead of one bidirectional track.

Yeah, I actually went ahead and did 2 tracks in each direction to allow bypassing broken down trains. That works well, and should scale nicely. Takes up a lot of space though.

I've noticed on seriously taxed cargo routes the bidirectional tracks are a mistake since the cargo output is so high, trains are running nearly back to back to back. I think there might be some use for this in very long distance passenger routes that are point to point or circuitous, since it seems they're usually less dense and more spaced out than a lot of high-volume cargo routes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Well, as i'm a fond user of road vehicles, most of the freight goes by trucks, or cargo trams for recyclables sometimes (when using FIRS).
However, all my train lines are nearly mixt - only the stations are separate. Because of this, all my lines are bi-directional, and I always make space for making 4-track stations for faster trains to pass slower ones.

I make 4-track lines only for suburban train lines (or S-Bahns if you prefer), as there are many, many trains needing high capacity going through those lines, so they need to be separated from regional / intercity / highspeed services. I never activate breakdowns, despite it being realistic most times i'm using high-speed services, there are at least 3 breakdowns on two orders.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Gwyd wrote:

these things never work properly for bidirectional tracks, as they cannot distinguish between directions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

A Bi-directional track, I would only use that when demand is low and money scarce, actually, only using it as a single track. When making a tight schedule for this, this works out very well, but there must be enough resilience in the schedule. I however made such stretches in a very complex map of the Netherlands (4096x4096) as the end of a line that is interconnected with loads of other lines (it's Utrecht Centraal-Tiel, a selfmade map btw). As, just like the real world, trains are planned tightly there is a delay every now and then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I also make single-track lines, but these are usually street-running (roadside) lines connecting stations, or secondary lines, as i want to make them keep their rural charm :D

My screenshots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am 
Engineer
Engineer

i tend to build semi-bi lines, like in this picture for example, hte trains are mainly right hand drive, but if the station is being serviced by a train, any other traffic will switch and pass...