OpenTTD gone mobile!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

blakeyez
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD gone mobile!

Post by blakeyez »

Hi all

I, along with my friend, have been experimenting with getting OpenTTD running on the Sharp Zaurus SL-C750 pda. It's a japanese-only model that runs linux :)

Here are some pics of OpenTTD running on the Z:

As you can probably see, the opening screen has just water for the background; we assume this is due to our not compiling in zlib/png support yet. When we tried, we kept getting an error with the strings/language files that we couldn't seem to figure out.

The other major issue is that the sprites aren't all being loaded correctly. For example, 2 of the 4 train depot graphics are slightly messed up, and in some cases the train comes out of the side of the depot instead of the entrance :) It does crash occaisionally as well, but it all seems to trace back to incorrectly loading the sprites.

Just thought I'd post this to see what ppl think, and perhaps someone has some suggestions for places to look in the code for ARM processor incompatibility.

Dave[/img]
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

Oh my god, thats awesome. Im a total PDA freak, and id love to play ottd on my pda.

Unfortunately i havent got a linux pda, but a windows one. A good place to ask for pocket pc programming help definately is the pocketmatrix forums, one of the best pocket pc forums around. Theyve also got a corner for developers...

heres a link directly to the forums...

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/

Edit: I removed the sid it for you :)....privacy is a holy - Darkvater
[Jakal]
Merri
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Merri »

Remove the sid from the url :)
Transport Tycoon Deluxe stuff
- Suomenkielinen Transport Tycoon Deluxe (versio 1.10, päivitetty 28.5.2004)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD gone mobile!

Post by Bjarni »

blakeyez wrote:As you can probably see, the opening screen has just water for the background; we assume this is due to our not compiling in zlib/png support yet. When we tried, we kept getting an error with the strings/language files that we couldn't seem to figure out.
opntitle.dat is compressed with zlib and it will show water only if it can't read it. It will not be able to read other people's savegames because they are zlib compressed too. The latter is the biggest problem of those two

Can you assign an IP to that pocket pc? It would be cool, if it supports multiplayer :D
edk256
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by edk256 »

that is really friggin cool
blakeyez
Engineer
Engineer

Multiplayer

Post by blakeyez »

opntitle.dat is compressed with zlib and it will show water only if it can't read it
Yep that's what we figured. It doesn't bother us at the moment though, we would much prefer to get the game itself working properly before worrying about getting the intro screen up :)

Anyway, as far as multiplayer goes... The Zaurus clamshell devices have SD *and* CF slots, so the usual set-up is to have a CF WiFi card for networking. As soon as my Zaurus gets here from Japan (we've been using my friend's but mine should get here this week), we'll give multiplayer a try between two Z's :)

Kenny was just doing some reading/debugging last night apparently, and found that sometimes when a sprite is requested from the sprite system, it occaisionally requests a sprite ID of the max value of a uint16 - when it should never request one higher than ~6000 or so. We've got some playing around to do, but with the few little fixes he made, he was able to play for 15-20 mins straight with competitors and it was completely stable. This is a big improvement over before.

We're definately making progress - perhaps we'll get a proper set of diff's setup for submission to the svn repository once it's completely stable so that other people can give this a try as well :)

If anyone's interested in learning about the Zaurus - check out the Zaurus user group

Dave
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

well .. I was quiet sceptic with OTTD ... but after that news .... well .... holy cows :shock:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Nickme90
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nickme90 »

Great, I have been looking into trying to port it across to windows CE on a pocketpc. But I am not having much luck. I'm guessing since your device runs linux, you have no hints on getting running with pocket pc?
blakeyez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blakeyez »

Porting to windows CE? Not a clue :) Unless, of course, it supports SDL, or you are willing to write your own graphics implementation. I have no experience with pocketpc's myself...

However, if your device uses an ARM processor, one thing that I can say is that the openttd code will run on it, but it definately needs some debugging to make everything work properly.

Dave
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Could you post some preliminary ttd executable, please? :) I'd love to give it a try on my Zaurus ;) but I don't have a cross-compilation environment set up.
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
blakeyez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blakeyez »

I'll talk to Kenny and see if he can send his latest working copy to you.

Dave
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

blakeyez wrote:Porting to windows CE? Not a clue :) Unless, of course, it supports SDL, or you are willing to write your own graphics implementation. I have no experience with pocketpc's myself...
According to the SDL web site... Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS. - so, in theory, ports to all these systems are possible.
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

Ok, ive asked the guys over at pocketmatrix for help regarding the Pocket PC version, lets see what happens... :)
[Jakal]
Kebabrov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kebabrov »

I would absolutely love it if someone could port this to the S60 platform. Would love to play OpenTTD on my nokia 6600!!

hehe :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

GameBoy Advance ?? :twisted:
Nokia N-Gage ?? :twisted:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:GameBoy Advance ?? :twisted:
Nokia N-Gage ?? :twisted:
Oh god no... I played Sim City 2000 on a Gameboy Advance, but I quickly ran back to the store to trade it for Doom 2, because the performance was plain pathetic :? :P
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Mad Dog McKill
President
President

Post by Mad Dog McKill »

Developers, remember to add PSP support when it will be available :D
OT: By FIREMARK: "Limitation disturbs me very sprites. Goes it throw out limitation?"
My Last.fm Profile
My Facebook Profile
epsilon
Engineer
Engineer

as for the nokia S60

Post by epsilon »

i'm afraid the processors shipped with S60 phones (or any nokia phones, actually) wouldn't be able to handle even a fraction of the load openttd generates. i guess it's possible to make some TTD clone written in java but i'd expect it to be:
1) poor looking
2) lacking functionality
3) real slow (and i _do_ mean slow)

some very limited one-player mode might be possible, though. maybe when my examination period is over i'll give it a shot :-)

i don't know a lot about GBA, but i suppose plain ottd would be far too much for it...
correct me if i'm wrong
Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

There is a handheld lke the GBA out there that it will be possible to port it to. The GP32. it's open source. The only thing is it runs at 320x240 half of what the game runs at but if someone were to port it halfing the graphhics on the fly would be the best way around. but at them moment i don't really know much but would love to see it on there. not much needs to be inputted on openttd so that could be done buy hold a button and move up/down and there is also a keyboard for it which could be used.

http://www.gp32.com <-- Main website
http://www.gp32x.com <-- developers site

this handheld is quite good.it is more powerfull than the gba but a gba emulator on it is has been said impossible but people have started to do one. if anyone knows about this console or can port it then I would test as i have one sitting next to me and use it all the time. if anyone would like to take a shot atthis then all the required dev kits are avalible including a sdl dev packet on sourceforge called gp32_SDL
DjArcas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DjArcas »

Mad Dog McKill wrote:Developers, remember to add PSP support when it will be available :D

No news from Sony on homebrew support. It's possible, however, that you'll be able to boot your own executables off the memory card. I'll let you know as soon as I get my hands on one. (not long now!)
The largest multiplayer games in the world - ever.
http://www.projectorgames.net

Return to “General OpenTTD”