Windows and Linux (Nightly) Downloads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Windows and Linux (Nightly) Downloads

Post by Darkvater »

As people seem to suffer from temporary blindness at times here is sticky topic that will help them find download locations for OpenTTD.

Official Releases: Unofficial Release(s):
  • These are the nightly builds that feature the latest developments. You get bleeding-edge technology, but the game might crash, savegames might be incompatible, etc.
  • The nightlies for MS Windows and Linux will be updated every day at 20:00 CE(S)T (18:00 UTC during DST in Amsterdam and 19:00 UTC otherwise) with the newest version of the game. Feel free to test it and report any bugs you find to the GitHub.
  • You can get the nightly builds from here
Notice! All downloads need third party data files. Nightlies since mid 2009 and official releases 1.0.0-beta1 and later can use OpenGFX or OpenSFX. In all other cases you need the original TTDLX Windows/DOS data files.

Instructions/Notes for Unofficial releases:
  • Just download openttd-trunk-<version>-<os>.zip, extract it to your OpenTTD folder overwriting all necessary files (it's best to create a backup copy, and use that) and start as always.
  • Nightly Builds are released with code-checking (assertions) still in it. This means slower gameplay (on slower machines), and the "crashing" of the game for every small inconsistency. You can either choose 'ignore' or 'break'. Ignoring should continue the game, 'break' quits the game. If you get assertion after assertion when ignoring, something is most likely be pretty wrong. Post the message on Flyspray, and wait until it is fixed. (The choice to ignore assertions is for Windows only)
  • Beware that this is the latest development build from the repository. It might not be stable, it might even crash!
  • It might delete your savegames, format your harddrive, kill your girlfriend. None of the developers can be held responsible for any harm resulting from using it. Just so you know :)
  • Savegames that you had from a previous SVN or nightly-build might be broken the next day with the new nightly-build. So beware of building huge and precious networks with SVN builds, since it is a development version and there's no guarantee it will work the next day, altough we will try to do our best!
  • The zip contains a logfile, usually called svnlog.log where the latest changes to the source can be seen. There you can see what has changed during the last day, and also people who missed out on a nightly still can see the changes.
If you have any questions about the nightly build, it doesn't run, asking for some DLL, etc. post them here, and a developer will look at it. Have fun.

Now whoever asks where to download openttd from will be personally spanked by a team of highly qualified O.S.D's (OpenTTD Spanking Division).

[EDIT]: I added info for mac nightly build too :wink: - Bjarni
[EDIT]: Updated 6 june 2004 - Darkvater
[EDIT]: Added Linux too 12 june 2004 - Bjarni
[EDIT]: Updated 10 july 2004 - Darkvater
[EDIT]: Merge nightly topic, jan2005 - Darkvater
[EDIT]: Remove release specific things, general only, jul2005 - Darkvater
[EDIT]: Update link of bugtracker, jan2007 - Darkvater
[EDIT]: Update website link, Feb 2009 - peter1138
[EDIT]: Make the text reflect reality, Dec 2009 - Rubidium
[EDIT]: New links, Jan 2019 - TrueBrain
Last edited by Darkvater on 09 Jan 2007 13:49, edited 19 times in total.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Im going to hug you now. :wink:

now Im going to suggest one more type of airport.

Realistic type.

Where the runway(s) are twice as long as now, but still the same width, the terminal could still be at one end, but the planes downs the centre to end end on landing and take off.
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Very interesting...
Last edited by Gorre on 27 Sep 2004 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Born Acorn wrote:Im going to hug you now. :wink:

now Im going to suggest one more type of airport.

Realistic type.
Where the runway(s) are twice as long as now, but still the same width, the terminal could still be at one end, but the planes downs the centre to end end on landing and take off.
Please put suggestions in the Suggestion forum, not in this thread. Anwyays, twice as long would mean an airport that is 12 tiles long...not good :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

why is there no linux version?
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

All you need for that is a nightly source tarball. I don't know if there is one, but *prod* to the devs if there isn't.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

mispunt wrote:why is there no linux version?
you can get the source here http://www.openttd.org/nightly/
as I added in the top
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

mm, didn noticed it 8)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

mispunt wrote:mm, didn noticed it 8)
that's because I added that when I say your post :P
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Is it just the latest source, or the entire svn tree with all versions?
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

ChrisCF wrote:Is it just the latest source, or the entire svn tree with all versions?
just the source, but looking at it, it says last modified the 3rd of May :(
I guess we should look at how it's updated to make it a truely nightly source
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I could shove a cron job on the forum server sometime soon to grab the latest source from SVN and tar that up, if it would be useful.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

orudge wrote:I could shove a cron job on the forum server sometime soon to grab the latest source from SVN and tar that up, if it would be useful.
if it could also compile it automatically for say linux and windows, that would be very handy
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

Presumably the whole point of a 'nightly build' is that it compiles it for Windows. :P As for Linux, you should have your own development environment in almost any distribution of it, so I think distributing the source would be sufficient... Precompiled binaries lose the whole advantage of open source!
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

mike[F] wrote:Presumably the whole point of a 'nightly build' is that it compiles it for Windows. :P As for Linux, you should have your own development environment in almost any distribution of it, so I think distributing the source would be sufficient... Precompiled binaries lose the whole advantage of open source!
*sigh* please take the context of my post into consideration when criticizing.

and you want windows binaries but not linux binaries because that's not in the spirit of open source? /me confused

I thought the idea was to have a compiled version of the latest source at all times, for beta testing purposes...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Korenn wrote:I thought the idea was to have a compiled version of the latest source at all times, for beta testing purposes...
Yes, that is the idea. If you want to change things in the game, you have enough knowledge to get the source yourself, and compile it yourself. Nightly builds are either for people with no knowledge of programming or just quick testing for users in general. This enables them to still test the newest features. More people means more bugs found, and that's good.

Let's please keep this thread for possible problems with the nightly builds and not some 'nightly-build != open source' discussion.
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

Korenn wrote:*sigh* please take the context of my post into consideration when criticizing.

and you want windows binaries but not linux binaries because that's not in the spirit of open source? /me confused

I thought the idea was to have a compiled version of the latest source at all times, for beta testing purposes...
Heh. Linux binaries strike me as pointless, because a compiler is standard with Linux, whereas it isn't such a built-in part of Windows.
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, I was only offering to tar up the source, not build it. I guess I could try to build it via a MinGW32 cross-compiler, but it'd be easier not to. ;)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

orudge wrote:Well, I was only offering to tar up the source, not build it. I guess I could try to build it via a MinGW32 cross-compiler, but it'd be easier not to. ;)
You don't have to since Darkvater have made a script for releasing the windows nightly builds :wink:
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Bjarni wrote:
orudge wrote:Well, I was only offering to tar up the source, not build it. I guess I could try to build it via a MinGW32 cross-compiler, but it'd be easier not to. ;)
You don't have to since Darkvater have made a script for releasing the windows nightly builds :wink:
Ya. No way I am going to do it by hand every night :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”