Towns that you dislike?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MT3269
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Towns that you dislike?

Post by MT3269 »

On a map that was generated a few months ago, there has been one town that I have utterly despised. There happened to be a few buildings in the way, and given that I prefer to have completely level track throughout the whole map (when I've got enough money to enable this obviously), I found these buildings to be a bit of a nuisance.

Nonetheless, without using cheats, it took me about 40 in game years to finally convert this small country town into just a locality that won't be forgotten. The landscape around it actually gives me a nostalgic feeling, and it almost reminds me of a video game that I used to play when I was younger (the music in the level precisely).

Nonetheless, this is what occurred as a result of this town disliking me and giving me a poor reputation.

Original layout with the mainline, and the satellite towers being in the way, before I discovered the magic bulldozer cheat.

The 'dome' placed around the town (seen the Simpsons Movie?) to prevent inference with the task of removing it (before I found the cheat). That airport didn't last long!

A more recent state of the same seed/map with a brand new line built almost directly through the centre of this lovely town (from an older saved game).

In short, I think this town has learned it's lesson by now, hopefully! In honor of what is soon to be a locality only yet again, I have named my company after this poor town which is evident in the below screenshot.

Has anyone here had a similar grudge against a town and removed it as a result? Great fun in my opinion. Might seem evil to some but it was certainly justified!
Formerly Trainskier1406
marioxcc
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Towns that you dislike?

Post by marioxcc »

I like to play with an opposite approach: to build around obstacles instead of removing them. I think that this is part of the strategy of the game. I have the terraforming base cost multiplier set to 64 to encourage this, and disabled the removal of rivers and sea (I play with JGR fork). If you flatten land to build straight track, the decision as to what the track placement will be is trivial, and thus much of the intellectual value is lost.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I am a massive believer in straight and level track,but don't ever cheat...if the local authority get their grudges up I can let stuff stay unstraightened a long time.
I have no problem with making landscaping expensive but would never make it impossible.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

If you want flat land, just start with it, by making a trivial heightmap image, or by making a flat scenario in the scenario editor.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:If you want flat land, just start with it, by making a trivial heightmap image, or by making a flat scenario in the scenario editor.
I like to earn my flat land by working toward it.
MT3269
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MT3269 »

Don't worry, the enabling of the cheat was short lived :)

I find it unrealistic to be forging 20 million at a split second's notice without any effort whatsoever. The next scenario I create will not include cheats, and will (ideally) include ROWs that are away from the satellite towers.

I just wanted to bring justice to this town. I don't mind non-flat maps tbh. Nothing wrong with having a landscape in OTTD.
Formerly Trainskier1406
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Since i use as much transport modes as possible (bus, tram, train, ship, aircraft etc) most of the time i build through or around the obstacle.
For example, a train track around the town and a canal through it (note that i never build canals following rivers).
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I have no problem with making landscaping expensive but would never make it impossible.
Probably why most of your companies go bankrupt... Work with the terrain, not against it. A big mountain in your way? Go around it. Town on top of a hill, work with the terrain as much as possible to get up there.

Personally, I try to keep terraforming to a minimum, if you can work with the terrain, why not work with it? After all, flat maps and tracks with no variation are boring. As for destroying towns that are in the way, I wouldn't do that, I'd go around it, and serve it at a later date. That being said, I wouldn't run my track in a giant cutting either, as that looks silly when the terrain at the top level is all flat - although in my current game I do have one sizeable cutting, which a High Speed line runs through.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, when there is something blocking the way (industry, town, whatever), i do everything possible with.

A big city of 10,000 inhabitants ? Joint your railway lines to a loop around the town and create a tunnel through it for highspeed trains.
Big mountain in the way ? Tunnel through if possible and affordable, else go around without slowing down your trains.
Town on top of a hill ? No problem, with double track railway lines i just make it symetric.
MT3269
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MT3269 »

It served it's purpose: 1936 - 1975

The locality in 1980. Current arrangement with divided cargo specific sections of track.

Anyhow, that's all folks, regarding this town, as there is another industry that needs a service!

If there's a town in the way, I will just demolish the buildings and build up the reputation by planting trees, providing services. If the town shows a grudge against me, it will become a locality. Not bothered by the amount of money spent. I don't like deviations, or mountainous terrain to be honest.

BTW, is there any way to restore this town with the railway going through the centre of a cutting, below the original height that the name is listed above? Will I have to divert the track?
Formerly Trainskier1406
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

Trainskier1406 wrote:I don't like deviations, or mountainous terrain to be honest.
If you want a flat map, you can use a flat heightmap. Bananas has at least one.

I was a lot like you when I first started with Openttd: all I wanted was a flat space because mountains and rivers and such just ruined my plans. Over time, as my experience and building skills grew, I started to see the terrain as a challenge, the part that makes building interesting, rather than as obstructions.

The other thing that changed for me was that I stopped min-maxing the game. It's hard to overcome decades of min-max gaming but as I relaxed more and realized that, in the big picture, having your tracks zig-zag around makes very little difference to the profits of the trains running on that track.
BTW, is there any way to restore this town
No, if you bulldoze the tile directly under the center of the town name, that town won't grow again.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

BTW, is there any way to restore this town with the railway going through the centre of a cutting, below the original height that the name is listed above? Will I have to divert the track?
The only thing you could do is a bit cheaty: save the game, rename the .sav to .scn, open it as a scenario in the editor, delete the town, rebuild it where it is not a nuisance, play further.
Note, that this only works if the town doesnt have anything using its name!!!
So, no Stations/RVstops/Docks/Airports, etc named after it, as those then will first have to be demolished and you have to wait until the stationname completely dissappears.
Furthermore, I have no idea if this will lead to break-games/crashes in the future....

This is the way I handle towns that are in the way of my gloriously expanding transportnetwork :twisted:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Once in a game I had a town named Guntwood that denied me building a station on their premises. So I renamed it; just changed one letter. Served them about right :twisted:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

leifbk wrote:Once in a game I had a town named Guntwood that denied me building a station on their premises. So I renamed it; just changed one letter. Served them about right :twisted:
This made me actually laugh out loud!! :mrgreen:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what's funny about Guntwool?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

No, it's Gunwood ! Not Guntwool !
I also did the same thing to a town repetitively giving me the "appalling" reputation. The town was called Gunttown. So i removed one letter too :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”