How to make single player harder?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

marioxcc
Engineer
Engineer

How to make single player harder?

Post by marioxcc »

Hello.

I play OpenTTD in single player. I have configured the settings to make the game harder. with many settings that affect difficulty set to maximum, but I still find it too easy. I have set equipment maintenance cost to enabled and “high”, construction cost to “high”, roughness and terrain type to the highest settings, snow height to 3 (initially I used 2, which is the minimum, but then farms do not appear), max height to 25[1], interest to 4 %, initial loan to 100,000 units, enabled realistic vehicle acceleration, with train slope set to 6 % and weight multiplier set to 2, low industry and town density (so that cargo pickup and drop sites are far apart).

Yet the game is too easy. I have noticed that I do not need to share train tracks to have a profit; maintenance is so cheap that I could make a double track for every train route and still profit. Moreover, the trains often earn around their full cost with the first cargo delivery! The ROI of train routes (incl. tracks, trains and stations) seem to be less than 3 years.

In few words, even with the settings for costs sets to highest, making profit is so easy that the economy is trivial. How can I make the game harder? Can I raise the cost of equipment (including maintenance) and terraforming beyond the setting “high” and lower the per-delivery profit?

Thanks.

P.S.: Your forum system did not allow me to register with my e-mail address with domain “yandex.ru”. I used the alias with the domain “yandex.com” instead. Please fix this.
P.S. 2: I use the SI set of units in game.

[1]: I used higher values for “max height” with bad results. With max height set to 60 the highest point is rarely above 20 but the in-game height map is harder to read because only the lower end of height colors is used, thus I now use “max height” set to 25.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to make single player harder?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

There are NewGRF vehicle sets a lot more expensive than standard vehicles...they make the game harder.
Do you have inflation on?...that makes things keep getting more expensive.
marioxcc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marioxcc »

Yes, I have inflation on (mentioned in my first message) at 4 %, but (by design) it takes some time to enter into effect; the early game is mostly unaffected. What newGRF set do you suggest, that make the game harder and is well developed (without important omissions and well balanced)? Thanks.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I suggest to you BaseCosts first. It allows you to modify the costs of building bridges, buying trains for example.
Next, the 2cc Sets : 2cc Bus set, 2cc Tram set and 2cc Trains in NML (you'll need the Metro Track Set for the 2cc Trains in NML). The last one got very high costs for trains, even though it allows you to start in 1835.

You can also go for the ECS industries : industries won't receive more than X units of cargo, and to increase production of mines (except oil rigs) and farms, you must give them vehicles.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

UKRS and NARS are interesting sets to play with (remember,NewGRFs allow earlier start dates).
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

My favourite is to use JGR Patch Pack, where, besides of other settings such realistic breakdown and repair payment (these both make together requirement of good servicing, but without frequently and annoying long stops), possibility of increasing max loan up to 5000000 GPB.
Such high initial loan give possibility to increase price of vehicles and constructions by means of Base Cost grfs. Unlike normal openttd, where you must just look for gap between vehicle income and running costs, in such case you must also mind interest rates.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
marioxcc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marioxcc »

Thanks you very much for all the replies.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Add maintenance cost to maintenance stops, that would be a 'hidden' cost and depending on service interval and vehicle age. Currently I think this is baked into running cost, but as is doesn't make any difference if you do monthly service or once every 2 year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
borninussr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by borninussr »

I use only trains without any air or road vehicles, in the begging game seems more harder
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well that's just a suicide to do that.
For road vehicles, i'm a little okay, but except if you have the Vactrain NewGRF no train can go faster than a plane (Yate Haugan, FFP Superdart and all).
Road vehicles wil be needed though to desserve towns until you bring them rail service.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

There is also various game scripts that can provide additional challenges. Unlike NewGRFs you can only have at most one game script active in each game.

Here is a list of scripts available via the in-game content download where you can click on their names to read more. I suggest that you download them via in-game content download window as it will automatically get the dependencies for you.
http://bananas.openttd.org/en/gs/
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “General OpenTTD”