Multiplayer in Windows (behind Broadband Router)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Multiplayer in Windows (behind Broadband Router)

Post by Silver »

Is MP possible yet, it said the function was unsupported ingame, and how does it run behind a network? I also would like to start a cool coop game with someone from Europe some time at night. Add me to MSN if you want to do the same :).

Nice forums, nice OPENTT btw :).

Ciao
Yisc
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Multiplayer in Windows (behind Broadband Router)

Post by Yisc »

Silver wrote:Is MP possible yet, it said the function was unsupported ingame, and how does it run behind a network? I also would like to start a cool coop game with someone from Europe some time at night. Add me to MSN if you want to do the same :).

Nice forums, nice OPENTT btw :).

Ciao
Yes it is possible (but only from commandline) and runs fine over a network. Hopefully the next official release has included all the correct network code. I haven't tested MP over internet yet, but I think it works just as good as through a network.
Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver »

Anyone up for a game at all? Didn't know so many people just wanted to play it alone :D
Last edited by Silver on 12 Mar 2009 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
-AgamemnoN-
Engineer
Engineer

Post by -AgamemnoN- »

soo, could anyone tell me how i can make multi work? i have absolutely no idea... :roll:
"Are We A Nation Of Gun Nuts Or Are We Just Nuts?" - Michael Moore
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

perhaps you should have a look at the problems forum...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Yisc wrote:I haven't tested MP over internet yet, but I think it works just as good as through a network.
It does and the network code is completely crossplatform, which means the game don't care which platform it runs on. Like if you host on Windows, mac users and linux users can join and vise versa
Right now the only exception (that I know of) is MorphOS, where MP do not work at all (yet)
Yisc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yisc »

Bjarni wrote:It does and the network code is completely crossplatform, which means the game don't care which platform it runs on. Like if you host on Windows, mac users and linux users can join and vise versa
Right now the only exception (that I know of) is MorphOS, where MP do not work at all (yet)
I didn't know that, thanks for the information. I played openttd via internet and it gave some problems. So I decided to send my openttd.cfg to the other player, after that everything runs smoothly. This problem also happens when playing on a lan, so openttd-server should sent openttd.cfg to the client(s) or a seperate network.cfg should be made by the server and sent to the client(s). In that way, the original cfg will be there when playing alone.
the_marshal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by the_marshal »

Multiplayer still isn't officialy supported for now...

I doubt it will stay like this once the official version with gui will be out... as leat it would be logical imo to choose the game option when creating the game (in the gui) and then sysncrhonize it with the other player...

Return to “General OpenTTD”