How Popular is OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

How Popular is OpenTTD?

Post by TrainLover »

So, are there any statistics for how popular OpenTTD is? I would really like to know what the most popular year was for downloading/playing OpenTTD, and which year was the least popular. I'm also wondering whether or not the community is on a slowdown at this point.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How Popular is OpenTTD?

Post by Benny »

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The simple answer is, amazingly so. Considering its age and how it looks compared to modern transport games.

I'm not sure how long that'll be sustained with the current almost stalled new feature development.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Benny wrote:You might be interested in https://www.openttd.org/en/stats
Looks like that stats page is broken. No updates for last day and last week, and no stats on OpenTTD 1.7.x
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Redirect Left wrote:I'm not sure how long that'll be sustained with the current almost stalled new feature development.

I would expect it to tail off, but I think it's going to be a long-term survivor with a steady amount of traffic, albeit less than when development was much more active. The amount of requests I'm receiving from old and young alike to bring back retro, whether it be games or vinyl music, is astounding. I think this one fits into that flow of things.

I have official visitors at work who see this game on my personal Macbook and are fascinated by it, particularly the Millennials. Kids who grew up playing FPS games...this is a whole new world for them, and they like it. There's a lot of games out there that when you strip away the eye candy...they don't offer what this game does: brain food. Not just hand/eye skills, but real thinking skills and (gasp!) logic. It's as addictive as Tetris - you can never do it quite perfect enough, so you always come back to try again.
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

kamnet wrote:
Benny wrote:You might be interested in https://www.openttd.org/en/stats
Looks like that stats page is broken. No updates for last day and last week, and no stats on OpenTTD 1.7.x
It is not broken, OpenTTD popularity just crashed on 2016-05-14, so there is no need for updates, as nobody downloads it anymore ;)
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Thanks guys! It's interesting to see that the most popular time to visit the OpenTTD website actually isn't June, July, and August, where most of the world has its summer break.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Dave

Post by Dave »

There’s certainly a perceived slowdown of posting in the summer on the forum - apparently people go “outside” - wherever that is.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Install statistics for Android version. The first graph is installs on both active and inactive devices for 6 years, until Dec 2016, the second graph is installs on active devices only for this year. Blame Google for changing their statistics collection algorithm on 2016.
Attachments
s13.png
s13.png (46.48 KiB) Viewed 352 times
s14.png
s14.png (57.28 KiB) Viewed 352 times
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

JohnLemon wrote:How do you think release of the game Mashinki in Steam will increase or decrease the popularity of OpenTTD?
So far it seems to have slightly increased it, but it's hard to say what will happen when mashinky get some real gameplay.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Every other time I play Team Fortress 2, someone comments on my Steam avatar. It might not be the most played game currently out there, but it's still very well-known.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

Return to “General OpenTTD”