Merging tracks

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hardist
Engineer
Engineer

Merging tracks

Post by Hardist »

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, but not new to OpenTTD. Decided to make an account, to ask a question about merging tracks. For my main line, I wanted to make 4 tracks total. I created the following junction:

https://wiki.openttd.org/Dual_Branch-Merge_Junction

Also, check out my attached screenshot. My question is, what is the best way to merge the 4 tracks into 2 tracks, so the trains can keep flowing through, as shown here:
Merging Tracks.png
(859.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have been checking out on these forums, the wiki, googled, also checked on openttdcoop, but haven't found a good answer for my question yet. Any examples will be helpful, thank you :)
Attachments
Dual Branch Merge.png
(1.18 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Merging tracks

Post by ino »

I am assuming you mean the merge/split on the very right of your picture.

The simple answer is that there aren't. Two tracks have more capacity than one track, so there aren't any way you can ensure the trains can flow freely. But you can compromised.

Say you want the outer track to flow before the inner track, you can construct priority merging that stops inner track if there are train approaching on the outer track. This is probably the simplest way. You can have much more complex construction involving logic train that give way to one track until it clears, then switch to another track, etc. All of this information is available on openttdcoop.
Ivir Baggins
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ivir Baggins »

What I'd do there is take advantage of the four tracks you have on that section and have two tracks going into and out of the junction to/from the top-right - one track going left, one track going right. Add in an at-grade crossover so that there's room to hold a train on the junction curve, and you should be good to go.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

https://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Junctionar ... _LL_output

you can find all kinds of mergers in our junctionary :)
ImageImageImage

Return to “General OpenTTD”