Raspberry Pi and dedicated server

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Raspberry Pi and dedicated server

Post by DerekCZ »

Can Raspberry Pi 3 run a 4096x4096 dedicated server for 15 players?
No, obviously, but what can it run? There are no specs for hosting.
I am looking forward to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 to operate my FTP server and because most of the time it will be just idle and even when the FTP server will be accesed it will not draw that much processing power I would like to host a OTTD server on it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Raspberry Pi and dedicated server

Post by Redirect Left »

Pis only have a 1GB (assuming you get the newest Pi3) RAM. OpenTTD vastly enjoys RAM.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

Redirect Left wrote:Pis only have a 1GB (assuming you get the newest Pi3) RAM. OpenTTD vastly enjoys RAM.
Dual Xeon 16GB it is then :D

Srsly tho, the problem is that any device over the raspberry pi performace level consumes more power than is acceptable for 24/7 service... Guess I will just stick to FTP only
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Redirect Left wrote:Pis only have a 1GB (assuming you get the newest Pi3) RAM. OpenTTD vastly enjoys RAM.
And CPU, OpenTTD really loves that. And with 1.2 GHz per core, you're not going to get a lot of OpenTTD, especially multiplayer on large maps, as CPU-usage will increase rapidly.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, unfortunately OpenTTD can't really take advantage of multiple cores very well, so single-core performance is what is most important. You would likely manage to host smaller maps OK on a Raspberry Pi 3, but very complex games may be taxing for it.

I've only got an old Raspberry Pi 1 (and an ODROID C2, which is pretty fast and modern and can do 4K video decoding, nice) - not tried running an OpenTTD server on it though!
Alseimik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alseimik »

I would love to give it a try! A few of us could test it out? Then we could determine how much each can handle. As the OP state, these are great for 24/7 servers, and if you just want a reasonable game with 2-4 friends, that didn't involve a certain person to be online, i can see why this would be great!

I got 100/100 internet, and i got several SBCs sitting idle, and for this project i could setup the following for testing: Pi B, Pi 2, Pi 3, and a new, more powerfull "Le Potato" Libre computer with 2Gb RAM. (those clones are NEVER as good as the Pi's in user friendliness, to people who suddenly want that "rapsberry pi killer". That will never come, the Pi is just so easy!)

BUT, there's no package for OpenTTD on ARM based linux (instead of the PC: AMD64/x86), and i would need help setting the whole thing up! (I may own several Pi's, but i'm a novice linux user. I script what i need in Python on the Pi's.)

Edit: Quick test shows, that a 4096*4096 initially takes 375Mb of RAM on a fresh install in windows, with two AI enabled and 2 mods, NuTracks and Swedish Housing, (No Dansih housing :( ). Save file is 28 Mb right away, so a fast SD card is needed. I'm going to run those two AIs in speed up for an hour, and the results: 14 game years in, we had the memory usage increase to 454Mb, the Save file to 31Mb, with 1400 pieces of rail, 800 road, 12 airports, and 12 trains, 106 vehicles and 23 planes.

It should be doable for a Pi, if the CPU can handle it!
Last edited by Alseimik on 24 Sep 2017 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The ODROID C2 might be a more powerful choice for OpenTTD running.
Slightly bigger than a Pi, and has onboard cooling. It's definitely more powerful than a Pi3, 2GB RAM 1.5GHz Quad CortexA53 etc.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”