Beginner question regarding online content

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Seraphim5683
Engineer
Engineer

Beginner question regarding online content

Post by Seraphim5683 »

Hi all, first time user of OpenTTD, long time player of TTD here. I've been scouring the online content experimenting with NewGRFs and I'm wondering if it's possible to edit only the title and/or detailed information portion of any NewGRFs, assuming the License permits it. Is there an editor available to that effect or some other way to do it? I had no luck searching for an answer so far...
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Beginner question regarding online content

Post by Gwyd »

First, you'd need to get the language file from a GRF file. Once you do that, it should be relatively easy to do it. I'm not sure what you can use to get the language file from a GRF file.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

NewGRF files are not something you can simply edit using some kind of editor.
Many of the NewGRF are open source projects, so if you can identify the source (they should be detailed in the README for the given NewGRF), you can download the source, edit it, and compile it for your need.
Seraphim5683
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seraphim5683 »

Thank you both for your help, will try to track down some source codes.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Seraphim5683 wrote:Thank you both for your help, will try to track down some source codes.
Or, failing that, you can try contacting the author of the set to see if they would make a modification for you. But generally most sets are open source so you can modify them yourself without needing permission. Depending on the set it will be coded using either NFO or NML. There is online documentation to help you understand both, as well as a development forum for coders where you can ask questions.

Return to “General OpenTTD”