Fictional names for British towns generated by a neural net

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Fictional names for British towns generated by a neural net

Post by Simons Mith »

These would fit surprisingly well into OTTD, I think.

Broad Romble, for example, almost sounds like something the current name generator could produce.

http://kottke.org/17/07/fictional-names ... neural-net

I was in two minds about which forum to put this in. If a mod thinks it should be moved, please move it to the right place and accept my apologies.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Fictional names for British towns generated by a neural net

Post by Redirect Left »

On that post, the latter ones done by 'Tom Taylor' are certainly more British sounding. Allers Bottom, Firley Dinch & Hendrelds Hill are somewhat believable as actual places.

Would it be feasible to implement a 'nueral net' type generation into OpenTTD without it being a cumbersome slow bit of code for what it is?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I don't think you can add a neural net to OpenTTD (as basically they need goals, and town names can only be judged by humans so far), but perhaps a "complicated" external program could do it. Or look up the tables generated off/from those and add them as NewGRF as with other town names.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Allers Bottom, Firley Dinch & Hendrelds Hill are somewhat believable as actual places.
You know you're British when those are somewhat believable place names :lol:
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

Those three are entirely believable. You can even have a guess what county they're from. 'Bottoms' are Kentish. 'Hendrelds' will be more northern, I reckon, and the Dinches I haven't narrowed down yet but I'm looking in the Wiltshire region., but that might be a bit too far south.

Here's a link to some real names for comparison: http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/

I did look at OTTD's naming code long ago, and I'd love to patch it to make it region-aware. It would be cool to have it able to use e.g. one set or subset of NewGRF names in one area of the map, a different one elsewhere.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The name generation doesn't seem all that difficult, although sadly one cannot do anything neural netty using just a GRF. Otherwise i'd give it a go straight away.
Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Allers Bottom, Firley Dinch & Hendrelds Hill are somewhat believable as actual places.
You know you're British when those are somewhat believable place names :lol:
I've lived in and near far more weirder sounding places!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”