Hello

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

r66stu
Engineer
Engineer

Hello

Post by r66stu »

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but played TTD for years as a youngster. Im looking to buy a new computer, can anyone techy please advise if this is any good for the money? and will run TTD ok?

Thank you.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6313818
Sylf
President
President

Re: Hello

Post by Sylf »

OpenTTD still runs fine on an eight years old netbook. Any modern PC like that will run OpenTTD just fine.
One thing I really don't like about that page is the CPU - E2-7110. The spec says it's a 1.8GHz chip, which isn't very fast in today's standard. And review sites don't give very good score to it.
HDD storage isn't the best either, when the price of SSD (solid state drive) has come down quite a lot in recent years, and will give you such a big performance boost.
Also... is it just me who thinks it's a bit weird that it comes with a printer, but not a monitor? Also, it says it's a printer bundle, but it gives zero details about that printer.
I said it will run OpenTTD fine, but personally, I don't like this deal at all.
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

It will run OpenTTD of course but for big maps (4096*4096) with many GRF's (100+) could it be difficult.
But if you want to do more than Office or OpenTTD you should buy a better PC with an normal Graphics Card and with a normal processor couse this is an weak notebook processor with an intergrated graphic chip.
I would recommand a PC with an Skylake Pentium and an GT 1030 or GTX 1050 for your uses and you budget.

Hope you can understand my English ;)

EDIT @Sylf I think there is a monitor couse of the 21.5 Inch and the Monitor on the picture but youre right it's a unserious offer.
r66stu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by r66stu »

Thank you for the quick responses ! i was not expecting them to come in that fast.

Is anyone please able to recommend / help me find a good laptop or desktop? for the right thing I would be willing to go upto £450 max.

Ideally all I want to do is play TTD, Age of empires, and a few other old games. Other than that nothing intensive.

Thanks again.

Stu
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Something like this?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

A good ol' 256x256 map plain will run as it was on an old computer (understandably not on DOS ofc). A computer slightly more than enough to have large excels will run them smoothly with NewGRFs, and probably with networking (multiplayer). Your average computer for playing games from before 2010 will suffice, and those geared to run modern games will be fantastic and your numbers can run wild. I'll only advice against hoping anything more than plain old on average mobile devices.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you're looking for a computer dedicated to OpenTTD, then look for one with the highest single core CPU speed as you can get for your money. After that look for one that comes with or you can upgrade a nice 2D graphics card. There are quite a few used systems which are too slow for a lot of people's interests these days which would make great OpenTTD and general game systems.
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

Your best bet might to be custom build as you can pick your own parts instead of spending money on features you don't use, for example, I never use e-sata, I've never owned an e-sata device!
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:If you're looking for a computer dedicated to OpenTTD, then look for one with the highest single core CPU speed as you can get for your money. After that look for one that comes with or you can upgrade a nice 2D graphics card. There are quite a few used systems which are too slow for a lot of people's interests these days which would make great OpenTTD and general game systems.
I thought OpenTTD made no use of graphics cards at all?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
kamnet wrote:If you're looking for a computer dedicated to OpenTTD, then look for one with the highest single core CPU speed as you can get for your money. After that look for one that comes with or you can upgrade a nice 2D graphics card. There are quite a few used systems which are too slow for a lot of people's interests these days which would make great OpenTTD and general game systems.
I thought OpenTTD made no use of graphics cards at all?
OpenTTD doesn't utilize modern GPUs or hardware acceleration. Rubidium offers an explanation. But the rest of the OS can benefit from that performance, but most OSes aren't using 3D performance. So a great 2D card can offload some of those processes and help out OpenTTD's performance by freeing up some CPU.

Return to “General OpenTTD”