How to modify?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nescio
Engineer
Engineer

How to modify?

Post by Nescio »

It has been several years since last time I played OpenTTD. Now, I would like to make a few modifications to some standard aircraft (e.g. retirement year, costs), and add two additional improved versions of the existing helicopters.

- Where can I find the files which define vehicle specifics?
- How do I generate a NewGRF-file?

Unfortunately I have been unable to find a guide (which probably exists, but where?). I vaguely recall a little python was involved, but I forgot the details. Fedora 25 is my current operating system.

PS Once I've successfully modified vehicles, I'd like to redesign the airports.
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: How to modify?

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

I don't know your desires and personal preferences but, maybe, a good idea for you is the use of the really new set: Improved M Cars.

This set is just the basis of your ideas, is a update of the originals aircrafts (and more) with some, and great, extra improvements.
But don't wait for miracles, all things need time and this set only have a few months of life; In future releases will grow more and more, but always with respect for the original vehicles.

And for the airports...
NML:Main - GRFSpecs
But you need more that change a single number, if you want to do something in conditions, you need hours, days and much more.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
Nescio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nescio »

Thank you for your quick reply. Actually I'm not looking for a new vehicle set, I'm quite happy with the default vehicles, I just would like to make a few minor tweaks myself. What I'm asking for is some advice how to get started.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Disclaimer: this is coming from someone who has never actually made a NewGRF, and haven't even had a look at the tools available.

But I believe this is where you can get started: https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_development_tools
From these, NML is the most modern NewGRF development language, here is the tutorial: https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial

Hopefully this can get you started, otherwise you may need someone with a little bit more experience than me :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

As for the airports, they are very limited due to the "state machine" which was implemented in Transport Tycoon and dictates the flow of the airport tiles. The OpenGFX+ Airports NewGRF helped to make this a little more flexible by introducing airports which can be rotated 360 degrees and adds a few new types of airports, but generally still follows the same state machine mechanics. There are a few other airport modifications which are able to introduce new layout for the state machine, but this completely breaks compatibility with traditional TT/TTD/OpenTTD aiports and requires that the OpenTTD source code itself be forked and patched.

Return to “General OpenTTD”