Conditional orders with multiple cargos

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Trebuchef
Engineer
Engineer

Conditional orders with multiple cargos

Post by Trebuchef »

I'm trying to manage rail cargo more effectively with conditional orders. Unfortunately I'm working with newgrf packages that for some reason make every maglev engine carry passengers. So when I transfer cargo around the map passengers end up spreading like vermin to every station and every train ends up carrying some passengers almost all the time. It's not really a problem until I try a conditional order like "if load percentage is 100..." or "if load percentage is 0..." to detect whether I need to repeat a pickup at a station or pickup more cargo at another station before taking it to its destination.

I can't find any information about how "load percentage" is actually implemented but I presume it's looking at both my coal and passenger capacity, and deciding that 100% full on coal but 10/30 passengers means I'm not at 100%.

Is there a way to either

1) Force trains to not carry passengers or stations to not accept them
2) Apply conditional orders to a particular cargo

If there's not a better way to do this I'm going to resort to trash-hauling trains and buses to cleanse out my stations.

Thanks for any replies
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Conditional orders with multiple cargos

Post by Alberth »

The only way to make trains not use some cargo storage is to have trains that don't have such cargo-storage.
In your case, your trouble arises from using a maglev NewGRF package that aims for real-world simulation rather than for game-play with industries. The only solution is to ditch that NewGRF. I'd suggest you try NUTS instead, a NewGRF aimed at transport of cargoes without caring about world realities.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Trebuchef
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Conditional orders with multiple cargos

Post by Trebuchef »

Thanks, that makes sense. I have used NUTS, was spreading out and trying other sets too; now I know the logic of the "unrealistic" part

Return to “General OpenTTD”