Recommended newGRFs to use with AV8?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Planeswalker
Engineer
Engineer

Recommended newGRFs to use with AV8?

Post by Planeswalker »

Hey all, long time lurker here. Rediscovered this game again after 5 years (yeah my old save game dating from 2012 still exists, lol).

I remembered playing with Pikka's aviation GRF and his train set but I don't remember which ship, land vehicles and industry mod I used to use. I do remember they were all compatible with Pikka's aviation mod but that's all I can go on.

Could anyone recommend me some land, sea and industry newgrfs? I tend to go more for airplanes but I like having a rounded game. Thanks for any info.
Sylf
President
President

Re: Recommended newGRFs to use with AV8?

Post by Sylf »

Planeswalker wrote:Hey all, long time lurker here. Rediscovered this game again after 5 years (yeah my old save game dating from 2012 still exists, lol).

I remembered playing with Pikka's aviation GRF and his train set but I don't remember which ship, land vehicles and industry mod I used to use. I do remember they were all compatible with Pikka's aviation mod but that's all I can go on.

Could anyone recommend me some land, sea and industry newgrfs? I tend to go more for airplanes but I like having a rounded game. Thanks for any info.
There aren't many industry newgrf sets. You can see some examples here. Some of the major ones that cover a whole spectrum of industries are FIRS, ECS, YETI, Pikka's Basic Industries, OpenGFX+ Industries, Manpower industries, Auz industries, etc.
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

So you're looking for planes and vehicles NewGRF?

Trains NewGRF aren't lacking at all :D there are enough to suit your tastes, from the generic OpenGFX Trains to specialized sets focused on one country (UKRS2 and add-on, Japan Set (if you like narrow gauge trains), Serbian Set, etc...
Some sets are generil, other are very specialized. the Japan Set have specialized lines if you wanna go overboard.
The xUSSR set is massive and also come with tons of rail types and HUGE trains (a 7 case long train would be small XD)

You have plenty of stuff for vehicles too. If I can recommand two sets, it would be HEQS and Road Hog, both sets offer road and tram vehicles that have decent capacities. If you like to start your games in early times (1880/1950) those sets will help you A LOT. The trams in those sets could be considered as narrow gauge trains, given their capacity and that they can carry every cargo.

As for planes, AV8 is still around, but you can also get VACE-VTOL Aircraft, that provide VTOL planes. The cargo capacity of an helicopter, but the speed of a small plane. Makes helipads finally useful :D

If you like boats, the FISH sets should provide everything. There are several varients, some with huge cargos (4800 tons of coal, anyone?) other with smaller cargos, but more passenger boats. If you want to start early, look for Sailing Ships, and for passengers, for WSF Ferry Set.
Planeswalker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Planeswalker »

I see, thank you both for the info i'll take a look. Yes the FISH set sounds familiar, I remember funny names like that and AV8 heh. Its just that from the OpenTTD game when you try searching it gives so many results I don't know where to start.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There is a fairly complete list of NewGRFs available here: http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List

I can't think of any NewGRF which doesn't work with AV8. However, AV8 isn't the only aircraft game in town. World Airliners Set (WAS) is an alternative that offers many popular airplanes in real-world liveries. The previously mentioned VTOL Aircraft for Everybody (VACE) complements either with nice VTOL craft.

Tons of trains, lots of heritage and regional/national sets. Some wildly imaginative stuff. And we now have some nice budding dedicated real-world monorail and maglev sets that are worth looking at. And, trams too! 2CC Trams for a global perspective, or many regional/national sets also.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Planeswalker wrote:I see, thank you both for the info i'll take a look. Yes the FISH set sounds familiar, I remember funny names like that and AV8 heh. Its just that from the OpenTTD game when you try searching it gives so many results I don't know where to start.
FISH?
I thought Squid ate it?

Return to “General OpenTTD”