Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:56 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Are there problems with Train Stations / Signal / Route Finding procedures in OTTD 0.3.1 or am I just doing something wrong?

Example:

If I have a multi platform Train Station with signals at either end, Trains that enter from the east with orders to return to the east, leave the station to the west (in the direction that they were heading originally). They continue on in that direction until they find a U Turn (or a Depot) and then return via a different platform! :?

Shouldn't the trains be about facing on the spot and waiting at the signals? Is there something I should be doing with Pre-Signals to avoid this time waster?

If that made any sense does anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:04 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Look at your diffuculty settings. :)

Attachments:
settings.JPG
settings.JPG [ 27.43 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:47 am 
Engineer
Engineer

There's no problem there, I've got at the end of lines and at stations set. Sometimes they reverse at stations other times they don't.

Here'a Screenshot of what I'm talking about. The train performing a U turn should have just reversed in the platform that it came from and waited at the signals.

Attachments:
trainreversing.gif
trainreversing.gif [ 94.76 KiB | Viewed 1433 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:56 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

dJP wrote:
There's no problem there, I've got at the end of lines and at stations set. Sometimes they reverse at stations other times they don't.

Here'a Screenshot of what I'm talking about. The train performing a U turn should have just reversed in the platform that it came from and waited at the signals.
it is not reversing at the end of line ... nor at the station .... if you want to force train going straight ... just put waypoint after the station

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:07 am 
Engineer
Engineer

SHADOW-XIII wrote:
dJP wrote:

it is not reversing at the end of line ... nor at the station .... if you want to force train going straight ... just put waypoint after the station

I don't mind work arounds but in the situation of the screenshot I posted earlier I'd have to have checkpoints on every platform and allocate platforms to trains. The problem there is that I have more trains than platforms and I'd end up with train confusion if two trains which were assigned the same checkpoint arrived at the station at the same time.

I guess it's just a pathfinding issue that I'll have to deal with :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:13 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

I think the train leaves to that side, because the signal is red on the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:03 am 
Engineer
Engineer

dominik81 wrote:
I think the train leaves to that side, because the signal is red on the other side.

You're probably right. It must see the Green Signal and U Turn behind it as an alternative route to it's destination since it's not really too far out of it's way. I guess the problem is that the pathfinding algo doesn't scan for signals further down the line or something. hmm... I wonder if the problem would exist if the lines were split earlier rather than just before the station... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:06 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Simple solution is to redesign your station so that it's either 100% Ro-Ro, or that trains that terminate there go onto terminus tracks.