OpenTTD 1.7.1-RC1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD 1.7.1-RC1

Post by GarryG »

Alberth wrote:Ah, looking for more addictions, are you?
Thanks Alberth for that information. Like to find some of the old games and hope they work with Windows 7 and still play slow to match my age :lol:

The games of today the graphics are brilliant but just to fast for me. Hard trying to remember what key on keyboard does what.

Seen some of the old games being revived on Android too.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

By the way, is there a way to update the translations on the stable branch? There are some missing strings in the current version which I already translated using the web translator, but I guess these changes do not get backported automatically to the stable branch...
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

The translations are backported for the RCs. I.e. 1.7.1-RC1 had new translations compared to 1.7.0
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD 1.7.1-RC1 (now digressed)

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Alberth wrote:
GarryG wrote:Question .. Is there any other game that came our when DOS was the operating System and has been revived and basically still played the same way with very little change in graphics. And can now be played basically all operating systems?
Ah, looking for more addictions, are you? :D

Of course there are other games. In fact, reviving and playing such games is called "retro gaming" and it's significant in size, it seems, even in the commercial sense. There is also an effort to archive such old games for future reference, to avoid it becoming completely lost. The aim in the latter is then historic accuracy using everything original.
I have been to exhibitions of old games, it's amazing :)

Some examples I have been involved in are the original SimCity (now called Micropolis), the original Theme Hospital (now named CorsixTh, after its founder Corsix who started the effort), and the original Dune II game, now called OpenDune. There are however zillions of other games out there. If you include "game inspired by XYZ" too, the number is even larger. My guess is that pretty much every relevant game has been recreated to some extent. Use some Interwebs search-foo to find them!

Note that "retro" is quite connected to age, people play games they liked in their youth, so different ages play different games.
So is there an open-source incarnation of Crusader Kings II?...I love the dynasty-building concept but prefer open-ended time and insist on non-commercial programs ported to BSD.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

frosch wrote:The translations are backported for the RCs. I.e. 1.7.1-RC1 had new translations compared to 1.7.0
Okay then, I'll just wait for 1.7.2 :)

If my memory serves right, I translated the missing strings when 1.7.1-RC1 was already out, and it's completely understandable that they didn't get in between 1.7.1-RC1 and 1.7.1.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So is there an open-source incarnation of Crusader Kings II?...I love the dynasty-building concept but prefer open-ended time and insist on non-commercial programs ported to BSD.
Uhhh, didn't CK2 just get a new expansion/DLC last year?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Supercheese wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:So is there an open-source incarnation of Crusader Kings II?...I love the dynasty-building concept but prefer open-ended time and insist on non-commercial programs ported to BSD.
Its expansions move the start date back,not end date forward,and it's a commercial program.
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Brumi wrote:By the way, is there a way to update the translations on the stable branch? There are some missing strings in the current version which I already translated using the web translator, but I guess these changes do not get backported automatically to the stable branch...
frosch wrote:The translations are backported for the RCs. I.e. 1.7.1-RC1 had new translations compared to 1.7.0
Something gone wrong in the translation system.

Some updated strings (in spanish translation) are not included in OTTD 1.7.1. And everything was translated long time before.

Maybe it's the same problem as Brumi reported earlier.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Hmm, maybe I only backported updated/changed translation, but missed those which were newly translated and missing before.
I'll fix it for the next time :)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Maybe it's a good idea the backport of the entire txt. At least in the big version-> 1.7.0, for example.

In the year between versions, I made some changes and improvements in the txt, and maybe other people did the same in his respective languages.

In any case... This is really a crazy work!!!
Thank you for your efforts, and the rest of OTTD programmers, without all of your we would not have the fabulous game we have today.
NewGRFs__

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Supercheese wrote:
Its expansions move the start date back,not end date forward,and it's a commercial program.
I've learned that they have a system for importing save-games to another of their commercial programs(EU4) that has a later forced end date,I think one of a sequence.

Much as I like to take stock at Jan 1 2051 I am grateful that my companies in OpenTTD are not then forced to shut down!
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Baldy's Boss wrote:Much as I like to take stock at Jan 1 2051 I am grateful that my companies in OpenTTD are not then forced to shut down!
It's an incredible feature, in OTTD you can play until the end of the days... Or until your computer becomes a steam engine because you have hundreds and hundreds of trains, road vehicles... :D
NewGRFs__

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

SilverSurferZzZ wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:Much as I like to take stock at Jan 1 2051 I am grateful that my companies in OpenTTD are not then forced to shut down!
It's an incredible feature, in OTTD you can play until the end of the days... Or until your computer becomes a steam engine because you have hundreds and hundreds of trains, road vehicles... :D
The thing that keeps me from playing onward is the lack of new improved trains after that date...replacing like with like feels like treading water.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The thing that keeps me from playing onward is the lack of new improved trains after that date...replacing like with like feels like treading water.
The challenge changes.

Without inflation and engine improvements you can run the same network forever, as long as you make enough money to pay for replacement vehicles at the end of their life-time. However, can you also expand your network to new areas, or even connecting different networks to make a larger network? Ie improve the set of services that you provide to your customers?

The challenging part here is that you cannot rely on a faster engine to appear to increase your income, so you must make more money by running the services more efficiently.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”