Adding content to the service/BaNaNaS - License issue

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trpyed
Engineer
Engineer

Adding content to the service/BaNaNaS - License issue

Post by trpyed »

At https://wiki.openttd.org/Bananas it says
You are only allowed to upload content of which you are (one of) the original author(s)!
and it says
Licenses

In this field you'll have to select the license that applies to your work. You can select one of the predefined entries: GPL v2, GPL v3, CC-0 v1.0, CC BY v3.0, CC BY-SA v3.0, CC BY-NC-SA v3.0 or CC BY-NC-ND v3.0. If none of these licenses fit your work, select the option Custom.

If you've selected the custom option, you'll have to provide the license with your work. The license text needs to be in a file called either 'copying.txt', 'copying', 'license.txt' or 'license'.
On someone's web page I get and as well as if they provide the source code ( for example http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/gs- ... repository ): But How does one know what the License applies to someone else's work, in Bananas ?

Thank you
Sylf
President
President

Re: Adding content to the service/BaNaNaS - License issue

Post by Sylf »

License type isn't shown directly in any of the bananas or in-game content downloader interface.
For the contents you've already downloaded, you can click on the "license" button in content downloader, newgrf, or AI/Game Script dialogue to see that particular item's license.

I do think that the whole bananas ecosystem should be improved, so at least the license type is visible without the user having to download it first.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

This topic confused me when I first read it, and I'm not sure I get it right now, but:
https://bananas.openttd.org/en/newgrf/
The right-most column clearly states "license"?

Most everything on Bananas is a GPL or CC variation. It's GRFs not posted there that are often troublesome to figure out whether the author ever expressed anything concerning license issues.
MonChrMe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MonChrMe »

Pyoro, I think the issue is that even then you don't really know what's going on - is a package described as Custom using a highly restrictive license, a permissive license, or a copyleft license? There's no way to find out. Is somebody using the in-engine content browser going to see that field to know that It's using a CC or GPL license? Do they know the Bananas site even exists?

I know Bananas unpacks the tarballs that get submitted to check the contents; I assumed it would separate out the readme, changelog, and license files for use in the content service's browser whilst doing that.

Now that I know it doesn't, I can work around that and submit a copy of the license in the description field that *is* used, but that seems like needless duplication of data. I know, text files, not exactly huge, still seems wasteful. There's also the potential for a mismatch if the license gets altered with a later release, but the description isn't updated at the same time.

One for the wishlist, I think.

Return to “General OpenTTD”