Download page question and supported OSes

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trpyed
Engineer
Engineer

Download page question and supported OSes

Post by trpyed »

#1 At http://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable as well at http://www.openttd.org/en/download-trunk there is: Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / XP with or without SP3

#2 As you may or may have not heard/read, those OSes are discontinued by MS.

How long are you going to support those OSes?

#3 While none of my computers are 64 bit, how long are you going to support 32 bit?

#4 While none of my computers that are running Windows are running Windows 8, 8.1, or Windows 10 (I got one running Windows 7)

If I had a computer running Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10, would it work (based upon the OS only - not based upon anything else about the computer) ?

Thank you
Sylf
President
President

Re: Download page question and supported OSes

Post by Sylf »

trpyed wrote:#4 While none of my computers that are running Windows are running Windows 8, 8.1, or Windows 10 (I got one running Windows 7)

If I had a computer running Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10, would it work (based upon the OS only - not based upon anything else about the computer) ?
Yes. Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 version also run on newer version of Windows.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I Am Not A Developer(TM), but I imagine that any OS will continue to be supported as long as the build tools that are used to compile the binaries support them.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

OpenTTD 32 and 64 bit versions for Windows and Linux will continue to be supported so long as the compilers have the proper libraries for those systems as well as those systems have the right libraries/DLL's for running modern versions of OpenTTD.

So long as nothing serious changes in newer versions of windows or the compilers they use for OpenTTD, then things should continue working just fine for the forseeable future.

Also, there are still a bunch of computers out there that are running 32bit OSes because some people don't see the need for a 64bit version of Linux or Windows if they have 4GB RAM or less. Plus older computers before Single core 64-bit cpu's and multi-core cpu's only support x86-32bit stuff and there are still a handful of people in this world running on computers like this. I imagine that until the day that all 32bit computers are digital history (just like 8-bit and 16-bit computers of the 60s, 70's, and 80's)

Lastly, I've yet to have any issues with OpenTTD on Windows 8 or Windows 10. I only tested OpenTTD on Windows 8 for a short time a couple years ago, but I'm running Windows 10 on my Gaming computer and OpenTTD runs just fine (though I wish I had a much more powerful CPU so that OPenTTD would run faster on larger maps)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

NekoMaster wrote: Lastly, I've yet to have any issues with OpenTTD on Windows 8 or Windows 10. I only tested OpenTTD on Windows 8 for a short time a couple years ago, but I'm running Windows 10 on my Gaming computer and OpenTTD runs just fine (though I wish I had a much more powerful CPU so that OPenTTD would run faster on larger maps)
I have OpenTTD running on my Win10 machine 24/7, as the PC is turned on 24/7, and I leave OpenTTD running 24/7 as I tab into it every few hours to do a bit more. I can confirm that OpenTTD works flawlessly on Win10, and has done from the start that I am aware of, as I got Win10 fairly early on in the free upgrade cycle.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”