Demand for FOOD but no factories produce it?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

artemisworks
Engineer
Engineer

Demand for FOOD but no factories produce it?

Post by artemisworks »

My towns seem to have quite a lot of demand for FOOD. However, there are no food processing plants available, just normal factories that produce Goods.
Am I doing something wrong? I generated a map and made it mostly Flat, it is a temperate zone, nothing special.

Sorry for this newbie question. I can't find anything about this on the web though.

Thanks! :bow:
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Demand for FOOD but no factories produce it?

Post by GarryG »

Depends what Industry set you using .. but to my knowledge they all should have a place to produce food. The farms produce grains and livestock to take to Flour Mills and Stockyards.

If you have more then one Industry set loaded these can conflict and cause some places from accepting and producing the correct cargos.

Next question if these don't fix your problem .. what Industry set are you using?
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
artemisworks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by artemisworks »

Thanks for responding!

I am using the Town and Industry - UK Houses set. Could that be the issue?
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

That not a bad set as only has a small amount of Industries. Good set for those who do want it too complicated.

It should show a Farm that produces Grain and Livestock .. take the grain to Brewery or Food Processing Plant and this will create FOOD and take the Livestock to Food Processing Plant it too will create FOOD.

If you load Scenario Editor and click on Industrial Generation .. it will bring up a window of what Industries are available and by clicking on each one will show what they produce and accept.

If it doesn't not show the farm it possible it conflicting with something else you have loaded.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
artemisworks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by artemisworks »

I think the issue may be the GRFs I am using. I am just using 2 at the moment, both made by Pikka.
TAL - UK Town and Houses
TAL - Basic Industries

In the temperate zone, it says that my cities have a demand for food, but there are ZERO food processing factories around the map.

In the sub tropical zone, there are plenty of those food processing plants. However, I can't find any train carriages that will transport fuel oil or plastic. It won't allow me to refit them either, that option is blanked out when I move the trains to the depot.

It just looks like using one GRF requires some other GRFs for everything to work. Is there a list of GRF dependencies I can rely on before I download? Also, it won't let me load a new GRF dynamically once I've started playing on a particular map, it seems as if I have to start a new game altogether?

Sorry for these newbie questions, it's hard to find documentation that explains all this clearly.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Attach your savegame and we can tell. However a house set which demands products not supplied by the industry set is perfectly feasible.

You will also need to adopt your choice of vehicle set to the industry set; default vehicles only support default cargoes, thus you want some vehicle NewGRF with support for the additional cargoes introduced by the industry and/or house set. Pikka has made several such sets (train, plane, not sure about ships and road). There's the OpenGFX+ vehicle sets and there are ships and road vehicle sets by andy.... just to name a few, and many good ones more.

And yes, the choice of NewGRFs is fixed once you started the map. They often modify core parts of the game, thus changing them mid-game has a high chance of corrupting the savegame altogether - which often is only noticable game years later when you have invested much more time in that savegame. That is nearly 100% probable when it comes to modifying NewGRFs which define cargoes, houses or industries - like house and industries NewGRFs.

Return to “General OpenTTD”