Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I apologize in advance but I couldn't find the answer to this in the guide/wiki.

Is it possible to instruct a train to arrive at a station, unload cargo, but only load certain types?

As a simple example I have three stations:

A ------- B ------- C

I have oil at A which I want to get to C, but I want to transfer it from one train to another at B. So train is to carry oil from A to B, and then take goods from B back to A. A different train would collect the oil at B and carry it on to C.

It seems that the first train unloads its oil at B ... but then immediately takes it back! So the oil is never left at the station for the second train to collect. I don't want to tell it to leave empty because I want it to transport the goods back to A.

Is there not a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

With classic gameplay I don't think so. You'd probably have to build a line like "A - B[oil] - B[goods] - C", so with an extra station. Tell the train to unload at oil, and load at wares. And the other trains the other way around or however your network is set up.

I think it should work if you turn on cargo distribution though. You shouldn't need any extra unload orders and such then. Urk. I'm kinda confused with Transport Fever right now so hopefully I got that right ^^

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:45 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I think you are using order of unload, try using transfer instead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:16 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Pyoro wrote:
I think it should work if you turn on cargo distribution though.

Thanks for that. Took me a while to find where to enable it, but once I did, things seem to work now. I just wish I better understood how it works. Does it simply look at all trains which use the station, find the ones with the right car traveling to destinations which accept the cargo, and then just divides it up among them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:22 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Basically? If cargo A wants to go to X, and a train can get it there, it loads. You can check the connections on the mini-map, to see where most cargo is traveling / how much of a line is in use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Even if you don't have cargo dist it should work if you use a "Transfer" order rather than an "Unload" order.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

If your cars have station refit option, you can set 'transfer and load with refit to' order.
For example, if you want to unload oil and load goods, and you have some tank cars and good vans, station refit to water would prevent picking oil after transfer but goods will be loaded.

My experimental openTTD server: 149.156.194.203:3979 non-standard client, now testing: JGRPP http://tiny.pl/ggnch
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, preindustrial houses, wired, ECS industry extension.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I have at times routed trains from iron ore mines to steel mills to factories.While they are at the steel mills,their iron ore is unloaded from the ore hoppers,converted into steel,and loaded on to the steel trucks for delivery to the factories.Is this covered by the original question?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 am 
Engineer
Engineer

It can be done aslong the wagon can be refitted to accept the new cargo. This is the reason sets like Iron Pony allow most wagons refitted to goods. So if you ship Steel on Flat wagons to Factory can load up Goods on the same wagons.