Can a train be told to leave one cargo and take another?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sunsanvil
Engineer
Engineer

Can a train be told to leave one cargo and take another?

Post by Sunsanvil »

I apologize in advance but I couldn't find the answer to this in the guide/wiki.

Is it possible to instruct a train to arrive at a station, unload cargo, but only load certain types?

As a simple example I have three stations:

A ------- B ------- C

I have oil at A which I want to get to C, but I want to transfer it from one train to another at B. So train is to carry oil from A to B, and then take goods from B back to A. A different train would collect the oil at B and carry it on to C.

It seems that the first train unloads its oil at B ... but then immediately takes it back! So the oil is never left at the station for the second train to collect. I don't want to tell it to leave empty because I want it to transport the goods back to A.

Is there not a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Can a train be told to leave one cargo and take another?

Post by Pyoro »

With classic gameplay I don't think so. You'd probably have to build a line like "A - B[oil] - B[goods] - C", so with an extra station. Tell the train to unload at oil, and load at wares. And the other trains the other way around or however your network is set up.

I think it should work if you turn on cargo distribution though. You shouldn't need any extra unload orders and such then. Urk. I'm kinda confused with Transport Fever right now so hopefully I got that right ^^
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

I think you are using order of unload, try using transfer instead.
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
Sunsanvil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sunsanvil »

Pyoro wrote:I think it should work if you turn on cargo distribution though.
Thanks for that. Took me a while to find where to enable it, but once I did, things seem to work now. I just wish I better understood how it works. Does it simply look at all trains which use the station, find the ones with the right car traveling to destinations which accept the cargo, and then just divides it up among them?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Basically? If cargo A wants to go to X, and a train can get it there, it loads. You can check the connections on the mini-map, to see where most cargo is traveling / how much of a line is in use.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Even if you don't have cargo dist it should work if you use a "Transfer" order rather than an "Unload" order.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

If your cars have station refit option, you can set 'transfer and load with refit to' order.
For example, if you want to unload oil and load goods, and you have some tank cars and good vans, station refit to water would prevent picking oil after transfer but goods will be loaded.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have at times routed trains from iron ore mines to steel mills to factories.While they are at the steel mills,their iron ore is unloaded from the ore hoppers,converted into steel,and loaded on to the steel trucks for delivery to the factories.Is this covered by the original question?
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

It can be done aslong the wagon can be refitted to accept the new cargo. This is the reason sets like Iron Pony allow most wagons refitted to goods. So if you ship Steel on Flat wagons to Factory can load up Goods on the same wagons.

Return to “General OpenTTD”