Is it possible...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Steviefiege
Engineer
Engineer

Is it possible...

Post by Steviefiege »

Hi, I've been playing this game for longer than I can imagine. I really can't get enough of it! Can never stick to the same game either as I'm always thinking of new ideas of how to play the game! What I was wondering though was, is it to possible for example to send a truck to load up goods, or food, or whatever but not actually set any destinations but to just deliver to what destinations it's been loaded with. For example, I send my truck to fully load at at a certain industry with goods but this industry could have about 4 or 5 (or as many as) destinations where the goods are going too. Could it happen that my truck just loads whatever there is & goes on its merry way then comes back & does the same again but this time it might be different destinations? Just instead of goin to the same drop(s) each & every time.
Again, not sure if it's possible but it was just an idea I had.

Cheers
Steve
Chrill

Re: Is it possible...

Post by Chrill »

Well, not really. You can make a A-B-A-C-A-D routing, but that would still send them to different stations on a scheduled basis.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Cargodist allows cargo to want to go to different destinations, but having a single vehicle for all of them is tricky. There exist conditional orders in the game that should help with this, but if wiki is correct there is some crazy quantum physics at play that prevents them from working with cargodist properly.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Steviefiege
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steviefiege »

I'll give the conditional orders a try & see what happens. If it doesn't work it doesn't work but at least I've tried it. Thanks for that.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Conditional orders might break Cargodist, I'd be careful with them...
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

This is a very different direction than suggestions by others.
This isn't possible with trucks - it's only possible with trains.
One idea, you can use flip-flop signaling to send trains in different directions without any explicit orders.
Another idea is to use Self Regulating Network (SRNW), where all trains in a group share the same orders (like, go to station A -> go via waypoint B), but they're directed to different stations via signal magics. (It's not really a magic)
Steviefiege
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steviefiege »

The SRNW sounds like a really good idea. I'll have a good read up about that & see if I can do it. Thanks a lot!
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I think this could be easily done with conditional orders & cargodist, as I use this a lot in my games.

Code: Select all

1: Go to LOADING_STATION
2: IF Loaded 0% JUMP TO 4
3: Go to DESTINATION_A
4: Go to LOADING_STATION
5: IF Loaded 0% JUMP TO 1
6: Go to DESTINATION_B
As long as the destination after the conditional order is clear to cargodist, cargodist in my games always sent the trucks correctly to the destination it has loaded cargo for. If the truck can reverse easily at the loading station this is actually pretty effective as the truck is always driving. Though I suppose this could become pretty confusing if you send it to more than a couple of destinations, or lots of trucks?

Return to “General OpenTTD”