Silly I know but...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Silly I know but...

Post by ccomley »

I tend to extend the surface area for coastal towns, or sometimes build islands off-shore with bridges, leaving a channel for ships. But due to inaccurate mousing I found I had not left a channel on this one. I could have dug it out again, but, I thought, why not a totally silly overhead ship canal? :) There IS a road running along under the aquaduct too...
Attachments
duct.JPG
(136.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Silly I know but...

Post by NekoMaster »

Interesting, I too also expand the coasts of coastal towns as sometimes they spawn way too close to the water so they're crammed in there with little space to grow what with having hte town center RIGHT on the coast.

Also in the future, please try to use PNG for Screenshots, I believe hte game saves screen shots in PNG by default.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Here it is later when the town has built on the land. I added a ship just for the heck of it. :-)

I use Snipping Tool - but will try to remember to save as PNG. Like this... Not sure why though - the PNG is five times the size of the JPG for this same capture...
Attachments
duct2.png
duct2.png (982.58 KiB) Viewed 336 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

ccomley wrote:Here it is later when the town has built on the land. I added a ship just for the heck of it. :-)

I use Snipping Tool - but will try to remember to save as PNG. Like this... Not sure why though - the PNG is five times the size of the JPG for this same capture...
Well its 2017, not like the world stuck on Dial-up. Even us Canadians have at the minimum in cities 2-6 Mbps (though most people I know have 15Mbps or better)

JPEG is nice to compress and cut down the size of a large photo or image but hurts the quality of the picture.

PNG is best for high quality images, Pixel art, line art, and games like OpenTTD or Roller Coaster Tycoon where every pixel counts and JPEG makes a blurry mess out of screenshots.
Besides, a 1-2MB picture isn't that bad, I've seen large 13-20mega pixel JPEG's get over 5MB and those still load just fine on the internet.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Side effect of 32bpp graphis, eh. Usually with OTTD png screens aren't actually all that large - depending on the jpeg compression maybe even smalle than those. They only use a few colors, after all. Not much to compress.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Yeah, for 8bpp screens, if you first convert the .png to Indexed using the TTD color palette, it will drastically reduce the filesize.

Of course, it looks like he's using 32bpp graphics so that idea wouldn't work so well.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

@NekoMaster: the problem is not bandwidth, but forum server storage... Owen is paying money to mantain this server and if your image doesn't have some important text to read (crashes, bugs, reports), then there is no big deal in loosing some pixel detail in screenshots to save space. You always have the option to upload to external site for big detailed images. :) Your choice.
starionx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by starionx »

NekoMaster wrote: Well its 2017, not like the world stuck on Dial-up. Even us Canadians have at the minimum in cities 2-6 Mbps (though most people I know have 15Mbps or better)
Be thankful you don't live here (Down Under) where a lot of people can only dream of 2-6Mbps. :(
Using Gonozal's Patchpack (r12180 built with BuildOTTD)
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Looks silly, yet have done its job better than any possible train line :lol:
Mlem, 3rd Jul 1924.png
Mlem, 3rd Jul 1924.png (190.64 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”