Greetings!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rkhulinator
Engineer
Engineer

Greetings!

Post by Rkhulinator »

Hello there I've been playing OpenTTD for a little over a week now as I am fairly new to the game but I must say I love it! It takes me back to my days playing Railroad Tycoon 2. I also love how deep it is as well as how easy it is to get lost in the game for hours on end.

I'm also looking for people to play online with and I would like all the help I can get as far as signaling goes. I consulting a few of Master Hellish's vids on Youtube and they were quite helpful but I'm still not grasping it so if anyone cares to hop on and show me I'd appreciate it!
kamnet

Re: Greetings!

Post by kamnet »

Signaling can be simple:

1) Use only path signals.
2) Place a signal anywhere you want a train to stop moving.
3) Make sure your signal block (sections between signals) long enough to hold the longest train that will go through it.
4) Always place signals before any intersection.
5) Don't place a signal after an intersection which allows a train to stop in the middle of an intersection.
6) Place a signal for trains exiting a station.
7) Don't place a signal directly before a station if it's also an intersection of lines.
Rkhulinator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rkhulinator »

Very helpful and indeed simple and sounds pretty straightforward. Don't stations by default have invisible signals before and after stations though?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A common misconception, but no.

If there is no signal between where a train is currently stopped and the destination station, it will not advance until every intersection is clear and all other trains are stopped behind another signal or stopped in a depot. Same if it's currently sitting in a station or depot. When you put a signal in front of it, then it will get its turn in its due time, and other trains will have to wait on it.
Linx123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Linx123 »

Hallo! I am looking for a partner for online play! starfree999@gmail.com

Return to “General OpenTTD”