Highway roads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sudanrusta
Engineer
Engineer

Highway roads

Post by sudanrusta »

The problem in the game it does not contain the highways, I have a traffic problem, so I tried to make this to be resolved
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-11-30-04-15-28.png
This is my Highway , what is yours
(1.08 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: Highway roads

Post by kamnet »

If roads are getting too crowded and can no longer deliver throughput, no matter the size of your vehicles, that's when you start thinking about using a higher-capacity, high-speed service such as trains or planes.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Highways unfortunately change absolutely nothing in terms of through-put in OpenTTD. Basically, they look nice, and that's about it.

Also wrong subforum, but I'll assume that'll change ;)
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

sudanrusta wrote:The problem in the game it does not contain the highways, I have a traffic problem, so I tried to make this to be resolved
Must agree ,the road section of the game is a somewhat a neglected side of development , don't know if it is lack of interest or to complicated to code , would be nice to see some development , diagonal roads would be nice.
Attachments
Leathwaite Springs Transport, 06-01-1975.png
(693.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

piratescooby wrote:Must agree ,the road section of the game is a somewhat a neglected side of development , don't know if it is lack of interest or to complicated to code , would be nice to see some development , diagonal roads would be nice.
I believe the consensus is "too much development for too little benefit". Road vehicles are only rarely more useful than trains.

There are some lovely object sets out there, like Dutch RoadObjects.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Here's an example of a Highway Junction built using New Objects, I think it looks kind of realistic.
Highway Junction.png
Highway Junction.png (385.78 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

sudanrusta wrote:The problem in the game it does not contain the highways, I have a traffic problem, so I tried to make this to be resolved
2156_steelmill.png
2156_steelmill.png (547.52 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
With reasonably adequate vehicles, road capacity in itself is rarely a problem. This steel mill, as you can see, has a monthly output of 1,800 tons. Apart from a shipping route delivering a couple of hundred tons of iron ore per month, all its supplies arrive by trucks. The metal departs on container ships.

There are even other cargo routes that use this road; you may notice a couple of refrigerated trucks in the picture. One of the more important items of working with road transport in ottd is that you should not let articulated vehicles with different speeds use the same roads, as they are unable to overtake each other. But slow articulated and fast integrated vehicles mix well, as the latter easily overtake the former.

If there's one feature that I miss about roads, it's the ability for articulated vehicles to overtake.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

RVs respecting their vehicle bounding boxes and not driving into each other would be nice, too ^^;
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Pyoro wrote:RVs respecting their vehicle bounding boxes and not driving into each other would be nice, too ^^;
I think it's cute when the trucks pass through each other :)

But it often gets quite scary, when I see all the reckless overtakings and situations that ought to be lethal head-on collisions. I'm reminded of an old flight simulator from the Nineties which drily commented, when a plane crashed into the ground at 200 mph: 'If this was for real, it would ruin your whole day.'
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

leifbk wrote:I think it's cute when the trucks pass through each other :)

But it often gets quite scary, when I see all the reckless overtakings and situations that ought to be lethal head-on collisions...
It is the same with ships, oil tankers and ferry boats pass right through each other.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

leifbk wrote:If there's one feature that I miss about roads, it's the ability for articulated vehicles to overtake.
I thought it lets the articulated portion moves on it's own in a different road :lol:

Also @OP : If you haven't noticed why traffic jams IRL and in simulations occur...
  • Too many vehicles in the road
  • Too many intersection in short distance
  • A slow moving vehicle blocks everyone
Transport Tycoon (which, to some extent, what OpenTTD still is) back then indeed didn't implement a particularly superb way of handling road vehicles - they won't fill the road from side-to-side or speeding or making a new line in the jam (but, at least, you know the police can breathe safely because that's the rule). So if you have problems with roads, you can :
  • Have different routes for separate groups of vehicles (complete with separate stops)
  • Use a bigger road vehicle (vehicles with more carrying capacity), NewGRF recommended
  • Use vehicles with uniform top speed
  • Make multi-lane stops
  • Ditch it altogether (?) and go for something bigger - mile-long trains or barges or massive airports anyone ?
I do sometimes use RVs, say for integrating some close industries into one single station. But often I use trams for that. Other cases are for passengers and mail in a town/city/village (when you have to build your main station away from the center).
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

leifbk wrote: 2156_steelmill.png
That's a really nice looking port. Well done! What GRFs are you using?
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Translink wrote:
leifbk wrote: 2156_steelmill.png
That's a really nice looking port. Well done! What GRFs are you using?
Thanks for the praise :) Most of the GRFs are listed in the first post of my screenshot thread. I've recently started to use trains again after several years of playing with ships and RVs only, and here I've used Iron Horse. The landscape is OpenGFX+ Arctic, industries FIRS Extreme, roads American Road Replacement Set, buildings Swedish Houses, vehicles mostly eGRVTS and a few from Road Hog. Ships are SQUID. Objects are mostly ISR/DWE, a few AuzObjects, MariCo, and VAST.

The docks are the plain ISR-style docks, and then I've applied some trickery with the ISR/DWE dock overlapping tiles. It took some time getting it right, but it's totally worth it :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”