Returning to TTD - need help

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mooияakeя™
Engineer
Engineer

Returning to TTD - need help

Post by Mooияakeя™ »

Hey all,

I still play Locomotion, played TT and TTD back in the day when I was at school etc. So I know how the game works.

What I am trying to do is get some extra things into the game, but even from a time of playing this a while back (3-4 years ago) I always remember it's not so easy to just jump into.

So are there any essential super packs? Something compiled together?

I have read and read and remember some 32bit images that looked "cartoony" (fantastic, but not real real if that makes sense), that I was interested in back when, but not so much now.
  • So all in all I'm looking for anything that improves the game industry wise (i've read that FIRS is a must?)
  • Is there anything that adds like real randomness like civilian cars on the streets?
Can anyone else recommend a good decent improvement to the basic game.

Thank you
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Returning to TTD - need help

Post by Baldy's Boss »

When you launch OpenTTD you get the chance to "Check Online Content".
The "Town Cars" NewGRF is I think random "civilian cars on the streets".
What are you looking to add in vehicles?
Mooияakeя™
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mooияakeя™ »

Do you mean in the civilian sense? Just cars. I will check Town Cars to see, but i don't mind if they look the same I guess it would be nice if they were a different colour etc. lol

Vehicles for me as the player and the AI? Well, I don't know tbh. Anything that people recommend. I used a few graphical addons for Locomotion and still play it.

I want to get into OpenTTD with this new PC I have built as I have a bit more time on my hands now and I find these type of games help my creative mind (I usually listen to Tycho or Carbon Based Lifeforms when playing) and it just gets me in the mood to create music/images/content for the website I'm doing. Just ideas.

Thx for the response btw.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

There is two AIs that will spawn vehicles in cities if you want that:

TownCars and StreetTraffic1.

If you want it to spawn civilian looking cars, you need to load a NewGRF that provides those. It also need to be some way for the AI to tell those apart from regular buses. Usually that is by the civilian cars having free running cost or zero capacity. You may need to look into that if it doesn't work straight away.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “General OpenTTD”