How to play the USA scenario ?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

How to play the USA scenario ?

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Hello,
the scenario starts in 1920 and does not have any vehicles available at all. How to fix ?
Another question i have is how to use North American vehicle replacement sets with this scenario ? because strangely does not take effect when i start this scenario but can have them in random maps, somehow.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: How to play the USA scenario ?

Post by Alberth »

the scenario starts in 1920 and does not have any vehicles available at all. How to fix ?
Simplest solution is to load the scenario in the scenario editor, change the year, and save it again under a different name.
Another question i have is how to use North American vehicle replacement sets with this scenario ? because strangely does not take effect when i start this scenario but can have them in random maps, somehow.
A scenario is a save game, it has the same rules as a save game.

A random map is a new game, where the settings from the main menu are copied upon start, including the then-used newgrf configuration.

A savegame gets all its data from the file that you load (and by extension this thus also holds for scenario files). It never looks at what you configured in the main menu. (There are some small exceptions here for things like colour of the minimap etc, which are always taken from the main menu settings.)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Hmm, then the question here is how to save it again to get using those newgrf's. will have to do hex editing for that ?
CharlyHRO
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CharlyHRO »

Adding NewGRFs in savedgames (and thus also in scenarios) isn't supported due to the likelyhood of breaking the game. Safest bet: recreate the scenario with NewGRF already activated.

edit: By the way, dear developers. Isn't there a way to automate recreation of scenarios with a different set of NewGRFs? Like setting the NewGRFs in the main menu and then fire up the scenario editor and tell it to "copy a map (heigt information and positions and names of towns)"? That would ease the process of playing scenarios with the NewGRFs I want to play on them.
moe moe pipebomb
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

If you wish to change the NewGRFs on a running game, it is possible, however, has potential to break the game on occasion (sometimes it can run perfectly fine however!).

If you still wish to go ahead with it, here is a link to a post where I explained this before.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74594&p=1165214&hi ... g#p1165214

Happy Playing :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

MlemandPurrs wrote:Hello,
This scenario was created at a time when users could add their own NewGRFs and were expected to do so. This resulted in lots of bug reports because of the ability to add and remove NewGRFs in a running game, a practice which has now been restricted. The result is that many old scenarios are now "broken" because they don't have appropriate vehicles to run.

If you will link me to the topic where the USA scenario is posted, I will post a version with the NewGRFs you want added
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Its the USA v1.0 scenario, intention was to add NARS, NARVS, PIPE, VACE, HEQS to it.
So, using the method in Pilot's post will try to do it.
however have discovered that cannot let an station join existing using Ctrl+click in this scenario, i assume its because had been created in an very old version where this is not supported, and since its technically an savegame nothing can be done about it(?)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

MlemandPurrs wrote:Its the USA v1.0 scenario, intention was to add NARS, NARVS, PIPE, VACE, HEQS to it.
So, using the method in Pilot's post will try to do it.
however have discovered that cannot let an station join existing using Ctrl+click in this scenario, i assume its because had been created in an very old version where this is not supported, and since its technically an savegame nothing can be done about it(?)
that something that can be changed in the settings menu
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “General OpenTTD”