Landscaping

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Landscaping

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The founding,signature service of the Sesninghill & Freaway RR Co. runs,logically enough,between Sesninghill & Freaway.

It was laid out straight (absolutely no curves).Over the years I have progressively reduced changes in elevation to the extent possible...the saves show 35 years of embankments,cuts,and tunnels.
From some of my games from years ago,I gather that changes in elevation have less effect on OTTD vehicle speeds than they once did,but how much importance do you attach to making routes ever more straight & level?
It's been one of my goals for a long time.
Attachments
Sesninghill&FreawayR.R.Co.,1stJul1933.sav
Using rugged natural landscape
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
Sesninghill&FreawayR.R.Co.,1stJul1968.sav
About as flat as is now possible
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Landscaping

Post by Alberth »

I used to do that too, but I stopped that after discovering the fun I had with puzzling how to make the connection in the existing landscape. Differences in level are much more significant than differences in distance, so going around the top of a mountain is much better than trying to go over it, as all the AIs do.
If you do go up, make enough length between each 'up' so trains can get back to a somewhat sane speed.

I do change the landscape, but only very slightly.

I also found you can 'exploit' the landscape. Use existing level differences for building a bridge over the tracks, so trains don't have an 'up' ramp. This style of building means every junction is unique, as the landscape is always different.

Some connections remain quite tricky, and then you have several choices
- Wait until you have better engines (nah)
- Reduce length of the trains (meh)
- Add more engines (yay!)

The latter may be non-feasible for you.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I do one-step-up bridges all the time.But since you mentioned bridges I did add one to the Sesninghill-Freaway run...though it took a lot of earthmoving to get a 150mph cantilever rather than 70mph suspension bridge.
Attachments
Sesninghill&FreawayR.R.Co.,1stJul1969.sav
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Now upgraded to 200mph tubular.
Is there a limit on bridge height?

(If only the red competitor would fail!)
Attachments
Sesninghill&FreawayR.R.Co.,1stJul1995.sav
(3.9 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Further upgraded,and that competitor finally did fail and I was able to gentle the slope to Freaway further.
The 2051 save is at
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83307
A long way from all the ups and downs I started with in 1933!
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Further upgraded,and that competitor finally did fail and I was able to gentle the slope to Freaway further.
The 2051 save is at
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83307
A long way from all the ups and downs I started with in 1933!

extreme landscaping
once i put down a town in mountain 3 levels of height
if it was not for the radio antenna i coudl not demolished i could have brought them all the way down

once i played in mountainous terrain which bringing everything to flat was nto possbile but that did nto stop me from improving completely the terrain

my first line was a single tunnel line 3 levels in a mountain
later on was a double line on the flat land

since bridges are velocity restrict i play a lot with tunnels and avoid bridges as possible
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

ANIKHTOS wrote:if it was not for the radio antenna i coudl not demolished i could have brought them all the way down
If I remember right, there was a patch to remove all special objects from the map, however I don't remember if this was since OTTD only or in TTDPatch (most likely the first).
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

Control-Alt-C will open the cheat menu where you can turn on the magic bulldozer so you can delete those pesky radio towers.

Return to “General OpenTTD”