How to make single player a little more challenging?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: How to make single player a little more challenging?

Post by leifbk »

Pyoro wrote:I mean, just look around the screenshot forum. Lots of different examples of how OTTD can be played.
In particular, look at romazoon's screenshots. His Le Havre Harbour, for instance, is just stunning.
Holtz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Holtz »

Thanks for being so patient with this utter noob!

I've poked around the settings some more and found a good way for cities to start at a nice size. "I just set Proportion of towns that will become cities" to 1 in 1 and "Initial city size multiplier to 10". Since I don't much care for passenger services, that works and it gives me nice chunky blobs to work with. Now I'm trying to figure out to space them apart even further. Even in the lowest city density setting there are still too many towns on the map. I think about 80 to 100 cities in a 2048x2048 map should be enough. As it is, I think it's closer to 400 (the town directory scrolls down a looooong way). Gonna keep looking for solutions to that.

I also downloaded a few NewGRFs for sprucing up my stations. I'm not sure I got the right ones, but so far using CHIPS and VAST I managed to make a little port attached to an iron ore mine that looks pretty good (need to take screenshots for it later). I seem to remember waaaaay back when I first tried to use NewGRF stations that some sets were supposed to have tiles that had more or less crates/piles of ore on them depending on how much cargo was waiting on the station. Is/was that ever a thing or am I imagining things?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Holtz wrote:I think about 80 to 100 cities in a 2048x2048 map should be enough.
You can select "Custom" from No. of Towns when you're generating the map. The map only requires minimum of 1 town on the map before it will let your play on it.
Holtz wrote:I seem to remember waaaaay back when I first tried to use NewGRF stations that some sets were supposed to have tiles that had more or less crates/piles of ore on them depending on how much cargo was waiting on the station. Is/was that ever a thing or am I imagining things?
You may be thinking of Industrial Station Renewal (ISR) set.
There is also an ISR/DWE-style Objects, which will allow you to build station/port style graphics without the station-spread restriction or having to work around the town ratings.
Both of those are available from in-game contents downloader.
Holtz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Holtz »

Sylf wrote:
Holtz wrote:I think about 80 to 100 cities in a 2048x2048 map should be enough.
You can select "Custom" from No. of Towns when you're generating the map. The map only requires minimum of 1 town on the map before it will let your play on it.
Why, isn't my face red. I had actually used that option before and completely forgot about it now. Works great!
Sylf wrote: You may be thinking of Industrial Station Renewal (ISR) set.
There is also an ISR/DWE-style Objects, which will allow you to build station/port style graphics without the station-spread restriction or having to work around the town ratings.
Both of those are available from in-game contents downloader.
ISR! That's the one! I tried it out yesterday and now my stations look really cool! :D

Alright, that's my scale issues sorted out (with a sprinkling of extra difficulty on top since those additional station tiles cost money)! Looks like all I need to do is find a train set I like and I'll be all set again. Thank you, everybody! :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”