Long narrow maps

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Long narrow maps

Post by oftcrash »

Does anyone else play long, narrow maps? I sometimes play a 512x2048 or even 256x2048. It means a few of loooooooooong multi-use rail lines and heavy use of air for passengers, but its fun and changes the game dynamic.
kamnet

Re: Long narrow maps

Post by kamnet »

I believe either STD or Emperor Jake plays some particularly interesting long, narrow maps.
harrythecat01
Engineer
Engineer

Post by harrythecat01 »

I don't have much of a reputation here, but I prefer playing long, narrow maps. Like you said, I make a central mainline that traverses from one end of the map to the other and slowly connect everything on the edges. My current map is 4096 x 1024. I don't know why, but somehow the game is more satisfying played that way...
Here is my screenshot thread! Check it out if you like FIRS!

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." -Elbert Hubbard
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

oftcrash wrote:Does anyone else play long, narrow maps? I sometimes play a 512x2048 or even 256x2048. It means a few of loooooooooong multi-use rail lines and heavy use of air for passengers, but its fun and changes the game dynamic.
I do once in a while to simulate playing a coastal or lakeshore rail line, especially when I want to say, play the East Coast (North East Corridor/Acela) or Southern Ontarios lake shore (play the Windsor to Quebec City Corridor or GO Transits lakeshore lines)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Those long, narrow maps can be quite fun when you want to go for long-haul stuff. On coop we played a few times very narrow ones, like 2k x 256 or even 4k x 128 or so - big fun :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

planetmaker wrote:Those long, narrow maps can be quite fun when you want to go for long-haul stuff. On coop we played a few times very narrow ones, like 2k x 256 or even 4k x 128 or so - big fun :)

Yeah it is quite interesting to set up a bunch of multi-headed trains, especially for drag freight to carry all that coal or ore to its destinations.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “General OpenTTD”