How to start a freight network.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

How to start a freight network.

Post by dol422 »

So basically, I tend to avoid freight because passengers seem to be the easier targets when it comes to real-life networking. But I'm now interested in building out a realistic freight network, or at least one that works. Tips and suggestions welcome.

Worth noting I have recently taken the liking to build in hilly terrain.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: How to start a freight network.

Post by leifbk »

Great, I have a passion for freight, and actively avoid mail and pax transport as it makes the game far too easy. Cargo has is own challenges, though. You may want to browse my epic 1700-2050 thread cited in my sig below and see if you find anything of relevance. Even if you may prefer trains over ships and RVs :)
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

At the first freight station, of which I have two not counting the tranferal service, I have a layout like this where movement is easy and joining the mainline is with ease.
Attachments
New Alyx Links, 26th Jan 2135#2.png
(649.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

i personnally like to set up some yard near by freight station, in those yard i make go via waypoints all the trains that will pick up something, the train delivering are going straight to delivery stations. I also use some restriction signal to reserve specific platforms for picking and for delivering, this way i avoid a traffic jam that would cause all the loading trains occupying all the platforms (restriction signal available in JGR patchpack, but it s doable also with waypoint).

here are some exemples, note that none of those setup are made to be very efficient, neither are based on real stuff, but they are really pleasant to watch when they get busy with trains, some trains waiting, some moving to deliver, others moving to wait a bit. Also if those setup are enough efficient for me, it s only because i use some slow daylenght, allowing those slower operation while still achieving good ratings at freight stations.
Attachments
The French Company, 8 Aoû 2091#1.png
in this one the bottom station is the main one, with deliveries and picking up being done there, the two other on the right (B & C) are only delivering stations (one for each factory). All the production is taken from sector A. The yard works with a way point, then only 3 platforms allow picking up, one is reserved to "red" company (it s a multiplayer game with infrasharing), one is reserved to my company, and one is free to use by any trains (no restriction). this way i often get the chance to see a few trains sitting in the yard waiting for a free platform to load (not at the moment of the screenie unfortunately)
(1012.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The French Company, 19 Aoû 2091.png
in this one Saumur Est is a big Fruit and oilseeds station, it receive from multiple fruit farms on a dedicated network, then the station is attached to mainline so i can take all the fruits and seeds with soome heavy trains into the network. The Saumur Siding is where fruits or seeds trains go to wait until one of the two platform for loading is free
(1.19 MiB) Not downloaded yet
The French Company, 20 Aoû 2091.png
here it s less complicated, but at the bottom i use waypoint so that my full loading ordered trains will wait if the "loading" platform are busy, the upper platform wich has blue signal is restricted to only delivery trains, wich make sure delivery always keep flowing. The one on the left is very simple, i actually make no trains loading there so far, that s the reason it remained simple (and relatively ineficient).
(1.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Biggest decision you'll make is probably whether you use dedicated freight lines or run everything on the same tracks. There's rl examples of both, and some examples that aren't quite do-able in OpenTTD (like running freight only at night ^^), but otherwise I don't see what's the huge difference between building a pax network and a freight network.

€: and since you mentioned hills and everyone is positing screenshots, here's on of mine:
download/file.php?id=187122
The advise is clearly: build loops ;)
Last edited by Pyoro on 25 Jul 2016 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Depending on the industry density setting, you can have that there are only a few destinations for cargo. As a general pattern in such a case, the destination becomes the busiest point. Output tends to become large due to all incoming cargo, so getting the output transported to the next destination is also a challenge.

The simplest is to make tracks for a single destination. Two sources, and a single destination:
m2005.png
m2005.png (226.29 KiB) Viewed 339 times
15 years later (I build while paused), 3 separate networks
m2020.png
(69.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Since I want to re-use the networks for other cargos too, I started to connect them:
m2023.png
m2023.png (62.91 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Detail of the sawmill receive, unloading should keep the platform occupied as little as possible. (Unlike pax networks, you don't load here.)
sawmill_receive.png
sawmill_receive.png (276.03 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

romazoon wrote:i personnally like to set up some yard near by freight station, in those yard i make go via waypoints all the trains that will pick up something, the train delivering are going straight to delivery stations. I also use some restriction signal to reserve specific platforms for picking and for delivering, this way i avoid a traffic jam that would cause all the loading trains occupying all the platforms (restriction signal available in JGR patchpack, but it s doable also with waypoint).

here are some exemples, note that none of those setup are made to be very efficient, neither are based on real stuff, but they are really pleasant to watch when they get busy with trains, some trains waiting, some moving to deliver, others moving to wait a bit. Also if those setup are enough efficient for me, it s only because i use some slow daylenght, allowing those slower operation while still achieving good ratings at freight stations.
There's something incredibly realistic about these layouts. I like them a lot.

They remind me of an era of wagonload freight, long gone in Britain, when yards and facilities would have 10, 20, 30 sidings and roads for shunting, holding and transfer.

It's all containers now :(
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Romazoon has a way with design and objects that, in my opinion, approaches genuine work of art. Just look at the beautiful rendering of LeHavre Harbor in his screenshot thread. Use the F11 key and gape at it in awe and wonder.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

dol422 wrote:So basically, I tend to avoid freight because passengers seem to be the easier targets when it comes to real-life networking. But I'm now interested in building out a realistic freight network, or at least one that works. Tips and suggestions welcome.

Worth noting I have recently taken the liking to build in hilly terrain.
Here's an example of how I plan freight/caro networks on one of my North American themed games: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=69191

Return to “General OpenTTD”