Oil Rigs Everywhere!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

F.D.White
Engineer
Engineer

Oil Rigs Everywhere!

Post by F.D.White »

[attachment=0]Screenshot (28).png[/attachment
So I don't know if this is a bug or part of the game but over a certain stretch of water I have constantly been overwhelmed by the amount of oil rigs popping up! There are 31 in this screenshot and a further 4 off screen! Why is this? Not that I'm complaing becuase i've managed to eek out an extra £5Million in annual profit from this! More are popping up as I type this! Brilliant!
Attachments
Screenshot (28).png
(808.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: Oil Rigs Everywhere!

Post by kamnet »

Apparently your geologist have had fortunate success in finding a rich, deep vein! May profitable blessings to your empire!
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Two reasons (more serious, more boring):
First, the "Allow multiple similar industries per town" is set to on.
Second, the water level is really low.

The random industry founding algorithm scans the map, and try to have roughly equal number of oil rigs as other industries.
But there are only so little areas on the map where oil rigs are allowed.
And because the map allows multiple oil rigs per town, when map decides that it should place an oil rig, one will be placed in that small area of water available on the map, regardless if there are any more oil rigs nearby.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

Some may consider it cheating, but I have a few places on one of my games where oil rigs are in proximity to each other. I raised the land to be able to build a train station between the two rigs. I find tanker ships too slow and cumbersome to handle, so this was a fun workaround for me. Very profitable, too!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Fastphil wrote:Some may consider it cheating, but I have a few places on one of my games where oil rigs are in proximity to each other. I raised the land to be able to build a train station between the two rigs. I find tanker ships too slow and cumbersome to handle, so this was a fun workaround for me. Very profitable, too!
You could try another ship set, such as either FISH or RedFISH, to use smaller capacity but faster ships to transfer. You could also try using the PIPES NewGRF rail set for a somewhat nicer look of pipes rather than railroad tracks.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Fastphil wrote:Some may consider it cheating, but I have a few places on one of my games where oil rigs are in proximity to each other. I raised the land to be able to build a train station between the two rigs. I find tanker ships too slow and cumbersome to handle, so this was a fun workaround for me. Very profitable, too!
Moving the coast to bring them within range of a train station is the only way I'd be tempted to serve oil rigs...
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Or do something like this.
Terminal Island.png
Terminal Island.png (90.21 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”