Can I run OpenTTD on Ubuntu 16.04?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Astrodude
Engineer
Engineer

Can I run OpenTTD on Ubuntu 16.04?

Post by Astrodude »

I'm new to Ubuntu and OpenTTD. The packages for OpenTTD are for Ubuntu 14.04, but I have 16.04. Is there anyone running this on 16.04? Thanks.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Can I run OpenTTD on Ubuntu 16.04?

Post by Alberth »

Just use the generic linux binary, I think that should work.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Alberth wrote:Just use the generic linux binary, I think that should work.
Thats what I do on linux, just get the generic linux binary.

If your unsure of your computers CPU bit (32-BIT/x86 or 64-BIT/x86-64/AMD64) the go with the Generic LInux build - i686/32-bit and extract the gzip or lzma archive to somewhere on your Ubuntu install like Your Desktop or Home folder.

The only benefit though to having 64-bit OpenTTD on 64-bit windows, mac or linux is that it allows for much larger maps, Beyond 8192x8192, though you can only get that in Patch packs and most people will never fill that kind of map up in any reasonable time (unless your a hard core long term player that starts way back in horse and carriage days and goes all the way into the future)

EDIT : And I'd like to add that unlike in windows where OpenTTD folder appears in your "Documents" folder for your config files, downloads, and grf files, Linux distros like Ubuntu put a hidden folder for OpenTTD in your Home folder under "/home/YOURNAME/.openttd "

Its been a while since I've used linux so I forget how to enable viewing hidden folders, but you can still goto the folder using your File Explorers address bar.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Unlike on Windows, a new Linux release is seldom disruptive, and you can generally run rather ancient binaries on Linux. But newer versions of a program are generally better than older ones, and few distros keep well up with new versions of openttd. For a long time, I've fetched my openttd releases directly from the server and installed them manually as root.

I prefer to access openttd via a symbolic link, that way the path in the menu item stays unchanged whatever the version, in my case /usr/local/bin/openttd. Copy the link to the binary you want from the openttd website and:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
# cd /usr/local/bin
# wget https://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1.6.1-RC1/openttd-1.6.1-RC1-linux-generic-amd64.tar.gz
# tar xf openttd-1.6.1-RC1-linux-generic-amd64.tar.gz 
# rm openttd (only in case you have an old link already)
# ln -s openttd-1.6.1-RC1-linux-generic-amd64 openttd
(remove old archives and directories)
# exit
If you don't feel comfortable with working as root, by all means install it as your regular user in your /home directory. But as an old unix hand, I prefer to keep my /home free from executables.
Username
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Username »

My boyfriend tests Linux distributions and uses OpenTTD on nearly any platform without problems; so I'd say yes.
Erik1984
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Erik1984 »

Probably the .deb for 14.04 will also work on 16.04.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i find that highly unlikely.

Return to “General OpenTTD”