OpenTTD on Steam

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Should OpenTTD be made available on Steam?

Poll ended at 24 Jun 2016 09:47

Yes
33%
No
47%
Maybe
8%
Not at this Stage
12%

Total votes: 51

GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD on Steam

Post by GunChleoc »

kamnet wrote:Oh, I thought you meant you owned OpenTTD.org. If it's just TT-Forums.net, there's no basis for a lawsuit. You run a discussion board about several video games. You might be asked to clean up certain content which blatantly infringes on copyright. But it would be pretty drastic of a court to rule that you can't even talk about something which may or may not infringe on copyright.
Courts will rule according to their interpretation of the law and not always according to common sense. There have been some rulings concerning online forums in Germany that are completely impracticable, for example.
HaydenRead
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HaydenRead »

So it seems to me that the majority of the developers / contributors to OpenTTD do not want it on Steam (or at least the ones that have commented / voted on this thread), while a number of users would like it on Steam (including a number of users that have queried getting it on steam both on the Locomotion and Simutrans Steam forums, and other Steam Community groups).

The main / biggest concern seems to be around copyright / trademark issues, and while I know there are no copyright / trademark issues in the country I reside in, I do not know how copyright and trademark law works in other countries, however it seems that having been around for 12+ years, if there was an issue I would have thought that it would already have come to a head, especially considering the wide range of sites that OpenTTD can already be downloaded from.

However, while there is nothing legally preventing me from putting it on Steam, I do not wish to do so without the support of a reasonable proportion of the current community.

If at some future date it is decided by the developers / contributors that it would be good to have OpenTTD on Steam, I would be happy to assist with the process.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If Steam offered anything for OpenTTD, it would probably be different. OpenTTD's own distribution base is way larger than Steam. The only upside to adding Steam to the distribution network is that it would make OpenTTD playable on Steam Machine, which starting at $449, is entirely overkill just to play OpenTTD, and is "a solution to a problem that nobody but Steam has". And it puts another layer between players and the OpenTTD developers. And considering the poor track record that Steam has regarding customer service and technical support, that doesn't help OpenTTD, either.

OpenTTD has spent a decade building a loyal community of players, developers, and tinkerers, most of whom openly interact with each other and at various levels. The only thing I can see Steam doing is taking away from that and hindering users from experiencing the more inclusive OpenTTD community.
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Pyoro wrote:Has this changed?
I wonder if it has changed? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =729138129 <== an Open Source game on greenlight
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

OpenTTD's apparently coming to Steam now. Is this an official move by the devs? Because I haven't seen anything else about it here.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536610/OpenTTD/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Emperor Jake wrote: 01 Feb 2021 05:35 OpenTTD's apparently coming to Steam now. Is this an official move by the devs? Because I haven't seen anything else about it here.
Yes, this is officially supported by the development team. :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Commercial transport game developers: "Oh crap."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Exciting times, hopefully some gaming news websites pick up on the release and there's a bit of an influx of new players!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

orudge wrote: 01 Feb 2021 09:15
Emperor Jake wrote: 01 Feb 2021 05:35 OpenTTD's apparently coming to Steam now. Is this an official move by the devs? Because I haven't seen anything else about it here.
Yes, this is officially supported by the development team. :)
Woah, nice, congratz! How did you manage to jump over the obstacles we found earlier?

Cheers,
planetmaker
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The version of OpenTTD on Steam is not modified in any way from the version you can get at www.openttd.org (there is no Steamworks integration for instance). Steam seems to be a bit more open source-friendly these days - we're not the first open source game on there.

Additionally, though this may not have been necessary for Steam distribution, OpenTTD on Steam is technically distributed by a company, OpenTTD Distribution Limited, of which I am the director (though other developers could also become directors). The company is not set up to 'make money', but having a corporate entity, rather than linking the distribution to any one person, is helpful with situations like this.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536610/OpenTTD/
Well, I pressed a button, with the idea it would only show a "Coming Soon" page .. turns out, Steam works in a weird way, and started a 12 hour countdown ... like it was going to release the game in 12 hours. Now 12 hours later, it turned out it was counting down the the "Coming Soon" page ... which is a bit weird :P

Anyway, there will be news etc about this once we passed all the reviews etc Steam is doing on our Store Page and Game itself. It just turns out it is impossible to coordinate this in a decent way ... so bumpy road it is! :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

We could start getting the word out that OpenTTD is coming to Steam. A front page announcement would be a good start.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

kamnet wrote: 01 Feb 2021 16:21 We could start getting the word out that OpenTTD is coming to Steam. A front page announcement would be a good start.
As I mentioned:
"Anyway, there will be news etc about this once we passed all the reviews etc Steam is doing on our Store Page and Game itself. "

:D One review is still pending with Steam .. should be done this week or so. After that, we will create some buzz around it, no worries :) Just too bad everyone is ratting out that OpenTTD is already listed :P :P
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Wow, but very nice work. I'm excited to see OpenTTD available via this channel - means to reach way more users easily - and importantly with an easy upgrade path for them.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Good to hear. Is Linux support planned? Because it would be great to have a more convenient way to install OTTD there instead of the software repositories which are always a version or two behind...

Also, Steam knows what I like...
stm.PNG
stm.PNG (65.62 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Emperor Jake wrote: 02 Feb 2021 09:09 Good to hear. Is Linux support planned? Because it would be great to have a more convenient way to install OTTD there instead of the software repositories which are always a version or two behind...

Also, Steam knows what I like...
stm.PNG
I tried
I cried
I walked away
I tried again
I cried again
I gave up

Basically, you have to build based on Ubuntu 12.04. This on its own is not a real issue, as they do add GCC 9 to the mix, and I could figure out how to do dependencies nicely .. but .. then I tried to mix it with GitHub Actions, which just gave me a big middlefinger saying: "GLIBC 2.15?! Are you insane sir?" And I couldn't blame them ...

Steam is working on a new way of delivering Linux applications, but .. "when it is done" seems to be the state there.

In general, documentation around Linux builds for Steam is .. euh ... what documentation? It is really awful.

So I really hope to add it soon .. but ... they made it really difficult :D

So planned: yes-ish .. when will it land? When I found my sanity back, or someone else figures out how to do this ;) Sorry for not having better news .. and sorry for the rant. But it does feel good to write this out :D
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

TrueBrain wrote: 02 Feb 2021 21:56 And to make it more official:

https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/02/02 ... steam.html

:)
and to make it more distributed to wider public, I posted it on OpenTTDexchange Facebook post
https://www.facebook.com/OpenTTDexchang ... 2455874556
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

silpol wrote: 03 Feb 2021 12:36
TrueBrain wrote: 02 Feb 2021 21:56 And to make it more official:

https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/02/02 ... steam.html

:)
and to make it more distributed to wider public, I posted it on OpenTTDexchange Facebook post
https://www.facebook.com/OpenTTDexchang ... 2455874556
This is your first post in 16 years. I do not know when a user last went 16 years between one post and their next? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “General OpenTTD”