OpenTTD on Steam

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Should OpenTTD be made available on Steam?

Poll ended at 24 Jun 2016 09:47

Yes
33%
No
47%
Maybe
8%
Not at this Stage
12%

Total votes: 51

silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD on Steam

Post by silpol »

Chrill wrote: 03 Feb 2021 13:01
silpol wrote: 03 Feb 2021 12:36
TrueBrain wrote: 02 Feb 2021 21:56 And to make it more official:

https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/02/02 ... steam.html

:)
and to make it more distributed to wider public, I posted it on OpenTTDexchange Facebook post
https://www.facebook.com/OpenTTDexchang ... 2455874556
This is your first post in 16 years. I do not know when a user last went 16 years between one post and their next? :mrgreen:
I've been tad bit busy... playing 8) :mrgreen:

meanwhile we have 1300+ folks seen it and ~700 reacted for it on Facebook
Screenshot_2021-02-03 Facebook Business Suite.png
Screenshot_2021-02-03 Facebook Business Suite.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
and bitly says we have 267 clicks to Steam page of which 234 came from Facebook
Screenshot_2021-02-03 Bitly Link Management.png
Screenshot_2021-02-03 Bitly Link Management.png (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Thalass
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thalass »

TrueBrain wrote: 02 Feb 2021 19:27
Emperor Jake wrote: 02 Feb 2021 09:09 Good to hear. Is Linux support planned? Because it would be great to have a more convenient way to install OTTD there instead of the software repositories which are always a version or two behind...

Also, Steam knows what I like...
stm.PNG
I tried
I cried
I walked away
I tried again
I cried again
I gave up

Basically, you have to build based on Ubuntu 12.04. This on its own is not a real issue, as they do add GCC 9 to the mix, and I could figure out how to do dependencies nicely .. but .. then I tried to mix it with GitHub Actions, which just gave me a big middlefinger saying: "GLIBC 2.15?! Are you insane sir?" And I couldn't blame them ...

Steam is working on a new way of delivering Linux applications, but .. "when it is done" seems to be the state there.

In general, documentation around Linux builds for Steam is .. euh ... what documentation? It is really awful.

So I really hope to add it soon .. but ... they made it really difficult :D

So planned: yes-ish .. when will it land? When I found my sanity back, or someone else figures out how to do this ;) Sorry for not having better news .. and sorry for the rant. But it does feel good to write this out :D
That's unfortunate, but somehow not surprising. So much for Valve being pro-linux haha
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Well, it took over 15 hours of trying, failing, giving up, retrying, etc, but ... it really looks like we will also be launching on Linux :D

As added bonus, we will also start providing "generic" linux builds for our nightlies soon, meaning a single tarball you can download which allows you to run OpenTTD on nearly any Linux machine (given it has X11, basically). We used to have them ... but nobody wanted to fix it .. so we haven't had them in ages. If my Pull Request gets accepted, we will again :D

In the end, the solution was to ditch what-ever Steam defines you should do, and just use CentOS7 as base. Much smoother experience, and nearly identical system requirements (a Linux system of 10 years or younger, basically).

Can't wait to see how hard it crashes on your machines :P
Thalass wrote: 03 Feb 2021 23:26 That's unfortunate, but somehow not surprising. So much for Valve being pro-linux haha
Valve is pro-linux, but it is incredibly difficult to do this correctly. Linux made such a mess out of this, it is not even funny. So I don't even blame Valve .. this is hard :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks for trying and do rant away about these things when you need to.
Roboron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roboron »

Congratulations from the Simutrans Team for the Steam Release!

Simutrans launched on Steam five years ago when HaydenRead (the very original poster of this thread) also offered himself for this - I've always thought that it was weird that our greater cousin didn't do the same!

HaydenRead left some time ago, leaving the game unmaintained (you better somewhat prevent this) until some months ago, when I picked up the maintainership. So I know for sure what a gargantuan task is it :roll:

I have learned a thing or two about deploying to Steam in the process - so I may be of some help, if you need it, I will gladly offer it.

I also consider a good decision not to support the Workshop - even if the players demand it, it is far better a build-in mod manager, and other great games like Factorio also take this approach.

P.D.: About the linux support, I would argue that it is not realistic to support anything older than Ubuntu 18.04 (maybe 16.04 if you feel generous). I looked at Steam Statistics for Simutrans when I started messing with it and there was absolutely no one playing on versions older than Ubuntu 18.04. Take in mind that Steam population (aka gamers) don't usually play on outdated systems for obvious reasons (a lot of my players are playign on rolling release distros indeed). And those on machine with older specs will try to avoid Steam if possible.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Roboron wrote: 07 Feb 2021 00:36 (..)

I have learned a thing or two about deploying to Steam in the process - so I may be of some help, if you need it, I will gladly offer it.

(..)
Thank you so much! If I knew earlier ... but it seems I am now on the other end of the process too, and it seems we have everything set up and ready to go. I think :D

Since yesterday I managed to automatically upload builds to Steam: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/comm ... 7eeb8dc6aa . It seems to work .. I am rather shocked :P This means that the "nightly" beta branch will always contain the latest nightly .. curious how long it takes before Steam sends an angry email that it is not allowed to send a new build every night .. think we should be good :)

Now to wait for first of April .. really curious about how popular it will be on Steam, and indeed, the kind of OSes people play on :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Roboron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roboron »

TrueBrain wrote: 07 Feb 2021 08:50Since yesterday I managed to automatically upload builds to Steam: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/comm ... 7eeb8dc6aa . It seems to work .. I am rather shocked :P This means that the "nightly" beta branch will always contain the latest nightly .. curious how long it takes before Steam sends an angry email that it is not allowed to send a new build every night .. think we should be good :)
Looking good! Just wondering... Have you considered what would happen if one of the nightly builds fail but the others succeed?

Don't worry about Steam complaining - I deploy both version of Simutrans nightly (Standard and Extended), and they have never complained. Althought I'm maybe in the blacklist and I don't know...
Bernasrebelo11
Engineer
Engineer

OPEN TTD ON STEAM!

Post by Bernasrebelo11 »

I would like to ask you what will be the impact of this?
Share your thoughts!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OPEN TTD ON STEAM!

Post by jfs »

More players because it's easier to find.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Apocalypse.

Chris Sawyer will sue Owen into bankruptcy. The forums will die. Nobody will dare pick up OTTD ever again. The project dies.

... dunno, it's just 2021 ;)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Quite a pleasant surprise hearing this... I remember a thing or two from a while ago about this, as well as trying to become 'verified' for MacOS, but basically boiled down to "that'd take some extra funds to keep".

Wondering if Steam Workshop would be a thing for OpenTTD, or if BaNaNas will remain to be the sole way to organizedly access addons.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

YNM wrote: 09 Feb 2021 22:00 Quite a pleasant surprise hearing this... I remember a thing or two from a while ago about this, as well as trying to become 'verified' for MacOS, but basically boiled down to "that'd take some extra funds to keep".

Wondering if Steam Workshop would be a thing for OpenTTD, or if BaNaNas will remain to be the sole way to organizedly access addons.
TrueBrain has confirmed that Bananas will remain the only way to manage content for now, along with no Workshop integration. It's just a straight release simply for the benefit of being able to use Steam as a front-end (updates can automatically be scheduled from GitHub to Steam). There won't be anything added that benefits Steam players and is also detrimental to non-Steam players (such as Steam-only cloud backup or network play).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

YNM wrote: 09 Feb 2021 22:00 Quite a pleasant surprise hearing this... I remember a thing or two from a while ago about this, as well as trying to become 'verified' for MacOS, but basically boiled down to "that'd take some extra funds to keep".
Yes, we do now have a signing certificate for macOS. The Mac App Store however remains incompatible with GPL software (as does the iOS App Store, of course), so we can't publish there.

Unfortunately getting a signing certificate for Windows in the company name as opposed to anyone's personal name appears to be non-trivial at the moment, because it's a newly registered company, but we will try again at some point later in the year. It's less of a critical issue for Windows, as the installers aren't blocked by default.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Bernasrebelo11 wrote: 09 Feb 2021 16:53 I would like to ask you what will be the impact of this?
Share your thoughts!
As well as the player boost (there's a lot of Factorio and Cities Skylines players this will be recommended to), If I understand it correctly the developers will have full access to Steam statistics and the like too, lots of data to discern things from.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

kamnet wrote: 10 Feb 2021 09:12It's just a straight release simply for the benefit of being able to use Steam as a front-end (updates can automatically be scheduled from GitHub to Steam).
Yeah... as E. Jake pointed earlier the apt releases on Debian/Ubuntu isn't always the latest, neither does the snap releases.
orudge wrote: 10 Feb 2021 09:26Yes, we do now have a signing certificate for macOS. The Mac App Store however remains incompatible with GPL software (as does the iOS App Store, of course), so we can't publish there.

Unfortunately getting a signing certificate for Windows in the company name as opposed to anyone's personal name appears to be non-trivial at the moment, because it's a newly registered company, but we will try again at some point later in the year. It's less of a critical issue for Windows, as the installers aren't blocked by default.
Yeah, I mean I remembered it from like years ago, good to hear it has changed.

I question Windows would ever enforce signed-certificate only, given all the backward compatibilities Windows have to carry.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wyndbain »

I'm trying to think if the patch packs would work the same, like on android you have separate apps for JGR's patch pack. Could be cool...
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

wyndbain wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:34 I'm trying to think if the patch packs would work the same, like on android you have separate apps for JGR's patch pack. Could be cool...
Yes. It'd be ace if these could be offered using Steams DLC system (except free DLCs, obviously). I whole heartedly suggest people start with a patch pack, for example, so anyone i recommended I'd just get them to avoid the Steam version entirely. Vanilla OTTD is a little dull in features compared to many of the patchpacks.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wyndbain »

Redirect Left wrote: 11 Feb 2021 21:01
wyndbain wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:34 I'm trying to think if the patch packs would work the same, like on android you have separate apps for JGR's patch pack. Could be cool...
Yes. It'd be ace if these could be offered using Steams DLC system (except free DLCs, obviously). I whole heartedly suggest people start with a patch pack, for example, so anyone i recommended I'd just get them to avoid the Steam version entirely. Vanilla OTTD is a little dull in features compared to many of the patchpacks.
Thats a good idea... But fr tho I hope they actually include steam support for them, because some people wont be getting the full potential of the game.
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
Thalass
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thalass »

TrueBrain wrote: 04 Feb 2021 21:47 Well, it took over 15 hours of trying, failing, giving up, retrying, etc, but ... it really looks like we will also be launching on Linux :D

As added bonus, we will also start providing "generic" linux builds for our nightlies soon, meaning a single tarball you can download which allows you to run OpenTTD on nearly any Linux machine (given it has X11, basically). We used to have them ... but nobody wanted to fix it .. so we haven't had them in ages. If my Pull Request gets accepted, we will again :D

In the end, the solution was to ditch what-ever Steam defines you should do, and just use CentOS7 as base. Much smoother experience, and nearly identical system requirements (a Linux system of 10 years or younger, basically).

Can't wait to see how hard it crashes on your machines :P
Thalass wrote: 03 Feb 2021 23:26 That's unfortunate, but somehow not surprising. So much for Valve being pro-linux haha
Valve is pro-linux, but it is incredibly difficult to do this correctly. Linux made such a mess out of this, it is not even funny. So I don't even blame Valve .. this is hard :D
I only just saw this, thanks for putting in the work! As was posted in the latest news update, I also tend to play for a while and then leave it because multiplayer is consistently painful. But I have several steam friends now talking about starting up a game once the update is available!
As I type this I'm trying out RC1 with two clients on the same machine and so far everything works perfectly, once I familiarised myself with the changes.

Thanks again!

Return to “General OpenTTD”