Don't have .grf's, don't run windows; whats next step?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Starman
Engineer
Engineer

Don't have .grf's, don't run windows; whats next step?

Post by Starman »

I've never owned the original game, therefore I don't have the .cat/.grf files.

I don't want to scour the second-hand-software shops looking for a "bargain" on some old copy.

I'm running linux; would rather not run windows "just for a simple file extract". (more in a moment)

yes, I've seen the big-page-o-links on where to download, but these seem to point to "windows executables", not nicely segregated .zip or similar archives whereupon I could extract "just the files I want" [I *suppose* I could run windows just long enough to install one of these (presumably) grey-market versions, then copy the extracted files, but as I pointed out above, running windows "just for a file or two" is a major PITA]

furthermore, I think all the tools that do the extraction/rebuild are windows based anyway, so even having one of these "alternative" versions available is kind of a moot point anyway

So, in simple terms, WHERE EXACTLY can I find the proper set of files to try out this "open" version of the game? [BTW: I've seen references that imply these are on "bittorrent", but I generally don't run p2p programs either -- I really prefer a straight ftp site]

Tom

p.s. I'm extremely surprised that this isn't a FAQ item by now...
Yet another linux user
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

If you don't own the original game, you're not allowed to play OpenTTD. (Unless you draw your own graphics of course.)
mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mpettitt »

Most of the exe links are just executable zips, so you should be able to extract the data from them without running them. If not, WINE?
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

mpettitt wrote:Most of the exe links are just executable zips, so you should be able to extract the data from them without running them. If not, WINE?
He said he didn't own the game...

Nope. If you don't have the graphics, you can't play. It would be against copyrights for the OpenTTD team to also provide those.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
aDe
Engineer
Engineer

bayze

Post by aDe »

CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

We're working on the problem. This is only temporary.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Mad Dog McKill
President
President

Post by Mad Dog McKill »

CobraA1 wrote:We're working on the problem. This is only temporary.
dominik81 wrote:If you don't own the original game, you're not allowed to play OpenTTD. (Unless you draw your own graphics of course.)
:?: :?

So who's correct here? I presume CobraA1?

That means graphics will soon be included OpenTTD?
OT: By FIREMARK: "Limitation disturbs me very sprites. Goes it throw out limitation?"
My Last.fm Profile
My Facebook Profile
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

He means that we would like everyone to be able to play OpenTTD, not just the people that have purchased the game. So keep your fingers crossed.

Starman: I cannot beleive that if you owned TTDLX you couldn't find a windows machine somewhere and extract the files. That is just unbeleiveable. Do it at school, at work, or ask a friend.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

HELLO!

TTD is abandonware!

you can get the Win version (what you need) on loads of sites, there are download links on the transport tycoon general or deluxe forum.

:roll:
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Abandonware is no legal term. It just means that most people think that the company that released it is no longer interested in the copyrights. This doesn't mean you're allowed to copy it by any law. Only if the company which has the rights to the game declares/releases a game as freeware, you can legally copy and distribute it. That has happend with some game such as "Beneath a Steel Sky", "Flight if the Amazon Queen" and recently "The Tribes 1 & 2".

So until Microprose (or Atari) doesn't release TTD as freeware you won't be allowed to download it or any parts of it. I think people should respect it, otherwise they would endanger OTTD. Go buy your copy of TTD at Ebay, plenty of them are offered there.
Colonel Sheperd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Colonel Sheperd »

dominik81 wrote:Go buy your copy of TTD at Ebay, plenty of them are offered there.
And plenty of chance youre set up :evil:

Like buying a old piano for $10.000 and get a empty box :roll: .
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Don't have .grf's, don't run windows; whats next step?

Post by DaleStan »

Starman wrote:furthermore, I think all the tools that do the extraction/rebuild are windows based anyway, so even having one of these "alternative" versions available is kind of a moot point anyway
*cough*tar*cough*gzip*cough*
*cough*7-Zip*cough*
*cough*RAR*for*all*sorts*of*platforms*cough*
*cough*UnACE*for*Linux*cough*

Where are my throat lozenges when I need them?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Abandonware is the stage between freeware and not being sold commercially in shop fronts anymore. the-underdogs.org were contacted by the ISDA a few years ago to remove games still being sold, as that is warez, but games not being sold can be downloaded unless the company says not to, which they haven't, its why you can get TTD win on the net today, since not even ebay sells the win version.
Starman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Starman »

Wow -- lots of great answers -- responses in no particular order

- extraction tools: I meant the tools that actually pull apart/rebuild the graphical files, not the de-archivers [I do know that much at least, OTOH, what program do you use for self-extracting ".exe" archives? ;) ]

- graphics "coming soon": great, but what about all of the "alternative" graphics at some of the places listed -- why not start with one of those? (might need the author to GPL the graphics, but most of them seem to be giving away the images freely to begin with) Heck, start with "stick figure" graphics -- that should look bad enough that SOMEONE will want to make a set, and FAST! :) :) :)

- not having a legit copy to begin with: kinda conflicts with the concept of "open", but the "coming soon" should rectify that. Meantime, it might be worthwhile to put up a larger notice to this effect in the sourceforge page -- I only found out about this project via sourceforge's monthly e-mail. I saw "a game for linux" and immediately went to check it out -- it wasn't until after downloading & installing that I noticed the readme indicating "oh, by the way..." [in other words, expect a lot more folks like me in the near future, especially when I mention it at our user group meeting]
Yet another linux user
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

to play this game, download from one of these links and then when installing use this as the TTD file

Transport Tycoon Deluxe (Windows):
    CobraA1
    Route Supervisor
    Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

CobraA1 wrote:
    We're working on the problem. This is only temporary.

dominik81 wrote:
    If you don't own the original game, you're not allowed to play OpenTTD. (Unless you draw your own graphics of course.)

So who's correct here? I presume CobraA1?
    We both are. Custom graphics are planned - we're not going to stick with the current graphics set forever.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
    DaleStan
    TTDPatch Developer
    TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Starman wrote: - extraction tools: I meant the tools that actually pull apart/rebuild the graphical files, not the de-archivers [I do know that much at least, OTOH, what program do you use for self-extracting ".exe" archives? ;)
    Usually WinRAR[1]. UnRAR for Linux should be able to deal with such things, haven't tried 7-zip, but it seems like it had better be able to deal with such things.
    Yes, I know. I need to get a *nix. But I don't want to give up Windows yet, and I don't want to try putting 2 OSes[0] on a 20GB HD.

GRFcodec is GPLed.

[0]Unless one of them is DOS, or something else that'll fit into <50MB
    [1]More stable than WinACE, IME.
    ChrisCF
    Transport Empire Developer
    Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

DaleStan wrote:GRFcodec is GPLed.
    As things stand, 0.95 doesn't build natively on *nix.

Return to “General OpenTTD”