Some Realistic Elements - How Hard Would it Be To Code?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Keplergamer
Engineer
Engineer

Some Realistic Elements - How Hard Would it Be To Code?

Post by Keplergamer »

I'm starting in a college about computer programming and I have a dream game in my mind. Most of it OpenTTD already has, but I wanted to be able to make a transport manager, that you could, but not necessarily had it turned on to be as realistic as possible in most elements. Some could be just no fun at all to play because it could be very hardcore, but the option is there, and then we could always tune it down just like TTD already does by scaling differently a lot of elements on the game (time, size of things etc). But before I go into making my own game, why not try to mode it into OpenTTD, I mean, at least give it a try.....

So here are some points I would like to ask how hard it would be to code this into the game:

Scale - Make each building actually produce a realistic amount of people to transport and population to the town - so towns should be way way way bigger than now, while still the rest of the world uses the same size. I think this is the easier and biggest solution to make all the world be more into a real scale. It would only need now a bigger station catchment area and a realistic time/distance price.
This is the utter most important aspect that I find lacking in ALL transport tycoon games alike.
* In my dream game, you could zoom in and out of the real map up to a top strategic view, like in Supreme Commander real-time strategy game. But that's probably for another day......

Day and year length - This probably already exists up to a point, and don't need much to change.

Tickets for the train are bought before the actual travel - you get the money before the train starts to actually transport people. The ideal price is calculated by an projected time and then an average time travel. But then, you could set the actual price accordingly to demand and offer or whatever you want..... But at first this would be automatic as dealing with price numbers is a thing that I hate (damn you Cities in Motion).

Train acceleration and speed - Make this as close as could be with the real world. The trains just accelerate way too fast and don't seem to have a realistic top speed. Though it probably look bad seeing all your trains moving over 1 pixel per second on the start of each trip. Still, I'm curious how this would look into the game and if its closer to how it actually is, there should be an option for it to be this way.

Construction time - Everything you make take a time to build, at least a small amount of time would still be fun. But once again, there should be an option to make this as close to the real world as possible. And for that, it would need another feature....

Blueprints - All you make is actual blueprints of what it will be, and you could fiddle with it as much as you want before you give the green sign and even after, maybe, if it that part didn't start to be build. After it started then it's a particular case for each build as for how much money you could have it back or would have to pay to change the project, but at first it could be just a fixed amount, like 50%. Or 0% so we don't have to program that at all. :D
But still, how hard it would be to make a blueprint system? Probably a lot for terrain changes but maybe less if it's just to build a railroad or a station.....

More realistic costs for everything - Once again, the ideal number is probably in between real world and OpenTTD default. But I wonder how the game would be played just by making a more realistic approach as to how much it costs to build a station and a railroad for example and how much you earn on each travel. Then again, in real time, on train will make way more travels per year. Still, I wonder how would it be if those numbers were more realistic (not taking into account competition forcing price changes / price by demand / real world policies - those are all other elements that could be turned on and off).

Other features that I would love to see in a game one day:
No magic fit it all depot - One game where the trains don't just vanish into a depot - they would always occupy a space on some track, and during night time, they would be parked in a huge parking lot. Off course, the software would come with a blueprint for such a thing so you don't have to waste your time building it yourself, and even better - one could get shared blueprints from the internet.

Automation - Have you ever played the '4x' "Distant Worlds"? On that, you can automate a lot of aspects of your empire - you just can't manage everything when you have more than 200 planets spread all over, not to mention your navy... So, just like we already have the Auto-Replace button, other things could be automate - setting up the right amount of vehicles and wagons per vehicle to carry all the goodies in a particular line. And even build a line and depot in between 2 towns, or in between a town and the main railroad. And, if you want, there should be an option to automate everything, just like you were watching an AI playing the game for you, if you so choose.
Last edited by Keplergamer on 04 Nov 2015 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Some Realistic Elements - How Hard Would it Be To Code?

Post by planetmaker »

Moved to 'General OpenTTD' as it doesn't seem to touch forum issues at all ;)
Keplergamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Keplergamer »

Ah, I thought it was about Game programming suggestions. Was in a hurry and didn't read all the description, but my brain made me think that I did......
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Keplergamer wrote:Scale
You'd need to create a town GRF, or one that changes the number of passenger generated for each house, and a patch for the catchment area (iirc there's one around for that somewhere). In terms of programming difficulty neither should be all that hard. It'd get more difficult if you also played around with town growth etc. but that'd presumably be optional for your goal.
Day and year length - This probably already exists up to a point, and don't need much to change.
Indeed, some daylength patches are around.
Tickets for the train are bought before the actual travel
That no doubt would need huge changes ...
Train acceleration and speed - Make this as close as could be with the real world. The trains just accelerate way too fast and don't seem to have a realistic top speed.
Speeds and acceleration depend on the train GRFs. Not too difficult to adjust. If you want a new acceleration model, you need to do some more work/create a patch.
Construction time
dunno if I'd be all that difficult to add some sort of delay, but if you want to do it graphically with multiple stages for tack laying you'll need to change a lot of things. It's not something the current GRF system supports I'd venture. Although I suppose you could look at the abandoned tracks patch and do it in reverse, for the visual aspect. ^^
Blueprints
There's blueprint tracktypes around; sure, you can't do terraforming or something, but you can lay out how you plan to do your tracks, if you feel like it. More than that sounds very hard.
More realistic costs for everything
Pretty much a NewGRF thing. There's some cost multiplier GRFs around afaik.
No magic fit it all depot
I'd love for depots to work like train stations, but probably also something that'd need a lot of work...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think all of these, if you want to do it any kind of "properly", are rather on the "nearly impossible" side of things. like, trying to get town sizes and acceleration onto the same general scale, when each tile already has like 9 different scales all on its own, depending how you look at it. (size of a house vs. length of a wagon, vs. width of the rail, vs. braking distance before a signal vs. general speed of a train vs. length of a runway, ...) adding daylength to this makes for another dimension, which doesn't really make anything easier.
Flygon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flygon »

With regards to the acceleration thing, it really would be nice to be able to have a setting to 'slow down' acceleration, without affecting actual tractive effort/weight.

It's kind of ridiculous seeing a Shinkansen 0 series hit 220km/h while half the EMU is still in the platform!!
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Flygon wrote:It's kind of ridiculous seeing a Shinkansen 0 series hit 220km/h while half the EMU is still in the platform!!
That's probably because of the NewGRF. Have you tried playing with NARS or Pineapple Trains? Engines in this set accelerate smoothly. Sometimes, they even don't reach their top speed before the next stop.

But in relation to your Shinkansen problem, you could always put a waypoint at the end of the station, then in the timetable window limit the speed until the waypoint is reached. That way your train will exit the station slowly and greatly accelerate after the waypoint.

Return to “General OpenTTD”