Fast and slow trains sharing tracks.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rollerghost
Engineer
Engineer

Fast and slow trains sharing tracks.

Post by Rollerghost »

How do I best place signals to allow fast passenger trains overtake slower cargo trains? Attached image is how I imagine the track would look like. If anyone could point out where to put path signals to allow this I would be very happy.
Attachments
Fast vs  slow.png
Fast vs slow.png (391.55 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Dave

Re: Fast and slow trains sharing tracks.

Post by Dave »

Personally (probably not the best way) I'd set up waypoints to ensure fast trains stayed on the main line and the slow trains down the loop, then set the signal for the main line closer to the middle of the loop than the loop line (or not have a signal on the main line at all). This is a very basic priority - many people have done very interesting things on the game.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I'm usually using depots - if breakdowns are on, depots are mandatory for slow trains anyway.
Additionally you can use wide range of priority set-ups, the most simply is here:
more sophisticated designs are described here:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Priority_Merge
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can also use timetables (warning: tedious to set up), and put a station on the branch that you timetable with a "no loading and no unloading" order [this is different from a "go via" order in that the train stops and can have a waiting time assigned to it]
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Eddi wrote:you can also use timetables (warning: tedious to set up), and put a station on the branch that you timetable with a "no loading and no unloading" order [this is different from a "go via" order in that the train stops and can have a waiting time assigned to it]
This is what I do. It's not that much extra work if you are going to timetable your trains anyway. I find with comprehensive timetabling I have less need of slow and fast lines anyway as I can avoid a slow and fast using the line at the same time unless absolutely necessary!
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

THis is my main line from my current game. I run fast and slow trains on it, without real bottlenecks, most of the kinks has been worked out, and there is about 80+ trains on it
Attachments
Transnet, 5de Des 2043.png
(894.31 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Transnet, 14de Des 2043.png
(952.63 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

does every 2nd train switches to another track, even if the "block" in front of him is empty`? i don't think so. a train only switches if the block in front of him is not empty i guess
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

In my case I'm trying to mix high speed and high volume passenger trains between the same stations...e.g. 165 mph Eurostars with 100mph-capped bilevel-car consists.Any special considerations three?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Bah, I just run my trains. Once it starts clogging, I build another track. I do this until it's impossible to add more tracks. That's when I just let it operate the way it is and start building separate lines!

EDIT: Here's an example. I think I counted 44 trains in various places but I basically haven't had to build two tracks in the same direction anywhere, instead there are several places where separate lines run to the same location.
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=185076
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

Put a station in the slower traffic and send every slow trains to that sta.
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Return to “General OpenTTD”