Lil help with aesthetics

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

knigtut
Engineer
Engineer

Lil help with aesthetics

Post by knigtut »

Hi there, recently new to this whole game, and I like the concept of it but I saw this image below and i've b\een looking for a way to get my houses/buildings to be like the ones in this image:
http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/images/7/74/PSG101.png

I've found/used North American city set, but my skyscrapers come out as the large cylinders attached to yellow poles. Am I missing a grf to make it similar to the one in the link from above?

Also if this is the wrong section forgive me, didn't know where else I should post for this.
kamnet

Re: Lil help with aesthetics

Post by kamnet »

If you're using North American City Set v0.1c, and actually have it loaded and started a new game after 1930, then you should see those buildings as in the screen shot, and not the default OpenGFX skyscrapers. Double-check your newGRF settings from the main menu to ensure that it's loaded.
knigtut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knigtut »

If i use the NACity grf alone, as my only grf and start a game I still get the skyscrapers i described above. I have no other grfs aside from that.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

What year are you starting, an what version/build of OpenTTD are you using?
knigtut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knigtut »

Im using the nightlies vers I downloaded a few days back. And I start at 2000. Ive found tht I somehow replicated a similar setup to the img using total town replacement but it also seems to add a lot of futurelike buildings to the old setup
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I did a quick build using r27213, and what it looks like is that North American City Set doesn't provide enough buildings in this era to completely replace all the default OpenTTD buildings. But you should definitely be seeing a good mix of both OpenGFX default buildings and NACS buildings.
knigtut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knigtut »

Ah so nacs doesnt provide enough buildings.. I see. After fast fowarding a bit with nacs and ttrs ive kind of replicated part of the image. Quick side ques tion. Is there any way to change the buildings from takin on bright colors? Bright colord buildings dont blend well with the brown buildings
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No, there's no way to modify that behavior in the game or NewGRF itself. Your options would be to modify the OpenGFX sprites yourself and compile your own version (perfectly legal, under GPLv2 license) or to use NewGRFs that do completely replace the default buildings. I believe TTRS will do this in its Parameters section.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So if a game starts before 1930 does NACS never kick in,or do its buildings start appearing after 1930?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

They will start appearing after 1930, as the town grows and creates new property to build on or tears down old housing as building zones expand. This may happen much slower in some towns than others.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is NACS in Online Content?...I didn't see it on a look last night but might have sought wrong category?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No, it was a victim of the First Great OzTrans Purge. :twisted:

Oh, wait, actually it is still available if you download the OpenTTD CoOp GRF Pack. You just can't distribute it to anybody though.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is that in Online Content or only available from OpenTTDCoop?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

the latter
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”