Graphics for checkpoints needed

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Why should there be buildings?
Checkpoints are sometimes build in the middle of nowhere and a building makes no sence
and there can be A LOT of checkpoints in a junction, and why should there be A LOT of similar buildings with no purpose?
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I personally like the idea of having an arch over the railroad much better than having buildings next to them.
1.) There are no buildings on checkpoints in reality.
2.) The map looks much more crowded with buildings for checkpoints.
3.) Having those signal boxes would require adding a lot of sprites. I favor having less sprites to reduce memory.
4.) Arches could be company-colored.

If I could draw, I would do so right away. Maybe I'll try later today. 8)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

there is no 'middle of nowhere' in TTD and signal boxes would give some explanation for the uncontrolled signal system.
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

Bjarni wrote:and there can be A LOT of checkpoints in a junction, and why should there be A LOT of similar buildings with no purpose?
Well if there are going to be a lot of checkpoints in a junction, I'd be more concerned about all the signs that will be floating around in the air than thenumber of buildings. :|

The arch thing could work, although I want to see a mock-up of it before I pass judgement ;)
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

I would like those building types, but if you're going to use them, you should ask permission to it from Michael.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If OpenTTD is able to read GRF files just as they are, we can use Michael's released GRF file just as it is, without changing it in any way, and we don't need permission because that conforms with the terms under which it was released.

If you have to decompile the graphics and reassemble them in a different way and/or integrate them into the game directly, then yes you would need his permission. I don't know how well that would work. It might be easier to draw new signal-towers. Michael's are nice but they are very European and I think maybe a little unrealistically large, except for very major interlocking junctions.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

krtaylor, this is completly STUPID :!:
if you want to use it then ASK MB :!:

I am totally against your way of thinking and that way can make people stop working on graphics :!:

ASK him and wait for permission or DON'T use them :x
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

I agree.

I posted the images as a inspiration.

OTTD DEVELOPERS, GET YOUR OWN GRAPHICS ARTISTS AND MAKE THEM YOURSELFE.

Got me?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

Hmm totaly agree with shadow on this one. I think you should consentrate on a own system on loading new graphics. And becouse ottd isn't bound to the nfo's in ttdpatch you could make a much more user friendly system to load new sprites. When you got that, ask people to lend them their ttd graphics, or make a converter, but DO NOT, and let me repeat that DO NOT use peoples graphics withoud asking, and do not encourage other people to do so...
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Zetor2003 wrote:I agree.

Got me?
i dont think krtaylor represents whole OTTD team so don't make posts like that. You seem like a forum troll.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

All the GRF files that come with OpenTTD are used with the explicit permission of the graphics artists who created them. And I'm sure it'll stay this way.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Anyways
mIRC transcrpt:

Code: Select all

<ludde_> Zetor2003: I didn't follow your discussion
<Zetor2003> hmm, ok
<Zetor2003> their the same?
<ludde_> which ones?
<Zetor2003> semaphores and presignals
<ludde_> openttd uses signalsw.grf from ttdpatch
<Zetor2003> with or without permition?
<ludde_> I havn't asked anyone for permission, i don't know if someone else has.
<Zetor2003> well, that should be checked
* Joins: Dakkus (~Nero@hoas-50dd0947.hoasnet.inet.fi)
<ludde_> who made the graphics?
<Zetor2003> MIghal Buck
<Zetor2003> Bluck
<ludde_> ah
<Zetor2003> Michael
<ludde_> i think he said that we're allowed to use all his graphics in openttd
<broodje> blunck even :P
<ludde_> that's not my department anyway, but i think someone told me that.
* Quits: Sawyer (Saw@lpr-699.cable.inet.fi) (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<Zetor2003> ok. Well, then the topic SHADOW-XIII talked about is no problem ether
<ludde_> i think he said that we're allowed to use all his graphics in
That kills the entire problem.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Akalamanaia wrote:
Zetor2003 wrote:I agree.

Got me?
i dont think krtaylor represents whole OTTD team so don't make posts like that. You seem like a forum troll.
He is not even a OTTD developer. We did use the patch canal graphics and we did get permission to do so.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Zetor2003 wrote:OTTD DEVELOPERS, GET YOUR OWN GRAPHICS ARTISTS AND MAKE THEM YOURSELFE.
Whenever we use graphics, we always ask the authors first. For example, George has very kindly let us use any of his graphics, but we did of course ask his permission (you will see, for instance, his canal graphics in the next version of OpenTTD). So please don't tell us what to do...

EDIT: Ludde, if you're reading this, it was George who let us use his graphics, not Michael Blunck (unless someone else asked him about it).
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

orudge I do tell you what you should do...
I mean in my book this project isnt very carefull coming to copyrights.....

anyway like zetor said discusion closed

(btw I still think it would be a lot better if a more user friendly way of loading new usersprites was made :wink: )
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

krtaylor is partially right, no-one needs to ask permission for anything if the grf file is just placed in the game folder to run, because then id have to ask permission to put the grf files in my newgrf folder.

but

I think we should ask permission otherwise MB might play this game and wonder why his graphics are in it.

and krtaylor, they aren't oversized.The signal to the left of this pic is one of those biggies.
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

Possible minimal fall back option could be to use the tile graphics
(TRG1) 1069 <-> 1072. (appliable to all tracks types)
maybe even using only one(1) platform on the user selected
driving side (user preferences, left, right)
would make it a simple, but still clearly identifiable possibility.

(when additional graphics are available, in the form of seperate/extra GRF file's
they could than be added to the selection. or replaced)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:krtaylor, this is completly STUPID :!:
if you want to use it then ASK MB :!:

I am totally against your way of thinking and that way can make people stop working on graphics :!:

ASK him and wait for permission or DON'T use them :x
No, Shadow, YOU are being completely stupid, you didn't even READ what I wrote.

I'll try to make it more clear.

1. IF OpenTTD is able to read GRF files JUST THE WAY THEY ARE, then it's perfectly legal to use MB's GRF files, because we are making NO changes to them WHATSOEVER. It's entirely according to the license terms in the readme. I bet you haven't read that either.

2. IF OpenTTD would require the graphics to be reformatted somehow, then we would indeed have to ask permission because that is NOT according to the terms in the license. As I clearly stated previously in my post.

What causes problems in graphic development is not people using other's graphics, it is people doing so WITHOUT CREDIT (which is ALWAYS wrong, and which I've NEVER knowingly done, and never will). A secondary problem is Indian-giving, that is, giving something to the free community but wanting to retain complete control over it. I don't do that either. But that's a philosophical dispute.

If you're going to flame somebody, at least have the decency to read what they actually wrote and think about it for a minute.

:evil:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

right ... if its perfectly legal, you don't have to pretend to care and ask for permission.
(thanks for that wonderful insite, back when topic is back on track)
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

Perhaps it would be nice to ask, whatever the legal implications.
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...

Return to “General OpenTTD”