Which NewGRFs to choose?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Krumplibela
Engineer
Engineer

Which NewGRFs to choose?

Post by Krumplibela »

Hi everyone,
I don't really consider myself new to this game, but after spending quite a lot of fun hours in this game I thought I install some newgrfs. My problem is that the result wasn't what I expected. Some are just too detailed and give you a million vehichles to choose from(which I dislike), some remove the original vehichles(which I dont like either). I also tried the metro newgrf[the one from downloads menu], but I couldnt find any vehicle sets for it. My question is: Is there any newgrf packs that were collected by the community. I was searching for one with metros, preferably playable from early time(around 1900) and without maglegvs/monos. Also, if you can recommend any good game scripts or else you have my thanks for that as well :D
Hopefully you can help me
Good day to all
kamnet

Re: Which NewGRFs to choose?

Post by kamnet »

For the most part, nearly all NewGRFs are playable and quite enjoyable. However, rarely are any of them balanced or matched up against each other.

Instead of the community blurting out their favorite things to play with (there's a few dozen of those threads about already), it might be better if you listed the NewGRFs you tried with each other, and we could then better advise you as to what doesn't work together and suggest ones that will.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

If you found a NewGRF you like, but still want to keep the original trains, you can add OpenGFX+ trains and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles, available from online content downloader. They're not exact copy of the original vehicles, but they should be similar enough. They don't contain ships or planes though.
If you want exact copy of the vehicles, give Original Engines grf a try.
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

About the "subways from 1900", I'd recommend you try the UKRS2 and UKRS+ together with the 2CC subways from the 2cc set.

The UKRS has London Underground (Tube stock) from 1903, the 2CC subways includes high capacity vehicles from 1894 onward.

To preserve the original vehicles, there's a GRF which is called the "Open GFX + Trains" V0.3.0

All GRFs are downloadable from the net via OTTD.

Return to “General OpenTTD”