System requarements: TTD + Patch Vs. OTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

System requarements: TTD + Patch Vs. OTTD

Post by Killer 11 »

So whichone will requare less speed and ram TTD + Patch or OTTD

I'l say OTTD
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Don't see the point of this :?
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

i need to know what ludde or other programers will say becouse i have a slow pc in my room so i need to know that it vcan handle ottd.
you see that comp can't handle ttd + patch,
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Well, according to patchman, who was too dignified to answer, ^_^ The Patch is quite faster than OpenTTD, which makes sense, since it doesn't have to translate the C into assembly since....it...already is assembly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Right now I'd say: TTD+TTDpatch takes more CPU usage and memory. Because TTDpatch lets you build more vehicles. This is only noticleable if you actually play with more vehicles.

In the future: Certainly OpenTTD. Because OpenTTD will have more vehicles soon too (with the next release) and many more additional features. It's probably only goinf to be a slight difference though. If your computer can handle TTD it most likely can handle OpenTTD and TTDpatch as well.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Yeah, the TTD + The Patch will defnitely be faster, especially because TTD was created in assembly in the first place, I think. OpenTTD might work on low-end pentiums, but I honestly don't know what the minimum is. If you want to use a pre-Pentium computer, you'll defnitely want TTD + The Patch instead.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

If memory is the problem, remember that TTDPatch has a "low memory" option (see the manual). But remember that OpenTTD started life as an unpatched TTD, so it doesn't have to do all the other things that TTDPatch adds.
ludde
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by ludde »

Has anyone actually tested which one is faster?

TTD+ttdpatch is written in a 16-bit style, which is not as fast as 32-bit styled code on modern pentiums. Also I imagine that a C compiler produces better scheduled code than TTD's asm code.

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the two. When I test myself, it feels like OpenTTD creates a new game faster than TTD, but maybe that's just me.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

yes it does.

but for me that's because of the music (ttd's midi loading thing freezes system for about 4 seconds.)
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

um, that's old news, you need the dll thingy from ttdpatch website
<!-- End Of Post !-->

Return to “General OpenTTD”