Playing OpenTTD on Windows 8 touchscreen device

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Playing OpenTTD on Windows 8 touchscreen device

Post by CommanderZ »

Hi guys
I tried installing Windows 8 touchscreen device. It works mostly fine, but there are some issues, mostly expected stuff:
  • UI elements are too small, even for my 13" screen. I know I can increase font size (and I did), but it doesn't increase size of many UI elements (window header buttons, toolbar...). I know I can go fullcreen and reduce the resolution, but I would have to reduce the resolution to something like 800*450 to be really comfortable to play.
  • I can't figure out how to activate the toolbar menus (holding tap translates to right click).
  • With rail/road construction tools enabled, it becomes impossible to scroll around, because dragging finger around builds the road/rail instead (perhaps the two finger gesture could work here nicely).
Are there some workarounds or patches for these? If not, I will try to write them myself, but I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel :)

I was actually quite surprised that finger scrolling and pinch-to-zoom gesture works at all (most games not specifically programmed for touchscreens have issues here).
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Playing OpenTTD on Windows 8 touchscreen device

Post by leifbk »

There's a BigUI GRF that you may want to try. Haven't tried it myself, but I've noticed it on the list of the in-game available contents.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I didn't occur to me GRF could do something like this, most of the UI elements look big enough now, thanks. Isn't there some ultra-big variant of this, so I can enable native resolution (3200*1800)? That makes the game look absolutely beautiful.

EDIT: Just realized I can access the toolbar menus by double tapping and then dragging. Odd, but functional.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

this should be a windows 8 setting; go look after the "mouse" settings perhaps ? (i know that for touchpad devices, you can configure a lot)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

With that said, I don't believe any of the developers currently have access to Windows 8. If you're willing to pitch in and help make OpenTTD more functional with Win8 touchscreen, by all means do so!
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

kamnet wrote:With that said, I don't believe any of the developers currently have access to Windows 8. If you're willing to pitch in and help make OpenTTD more functional with Win8 touchscreen, by all means do so!
Okay, I will create a dev thread.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

viewtopic.php?t=75868
Touch interface version for Windows tablets, it requires 64-bit Windows as of now.

Return to “General OpenTTD”