Help with some signalling again

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gunnar123abc
Engineer
Engineer

Help with some signalling again

Post by Gunnar123abc »

I have a sawmill producing 250 crates of goods a month, and now I am going to try to send these goods to various cities. Problem is, I am not sure how to add the signals to allow them to be on my main line. Here is the intersections, perhaps you can help me?

This is the intersection for outgoing trains from the sawmill. The letters are placed, so you can tell me which signals should be placed there by listing numbers, you can just type the name of the signal and which direction.

http://i.imgur.com/z2stVuv.png

This is the intersection for incoming trains heading towards the sawmill after unloading. Sorry for the random placement of numbers!!

http://i.imgur.com/0O6Xipw.png

Both images:

http://imgur.com/0O6Xipw,z2stVuv#0

Can anyone help me add signals to these letters, so they follow the paths drawn, yet still allowing for other trains heading along the main line to not just get lost?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Help with some signalling again

Post by planetmaker »

General advice: use path signals. Place them there (at the junction entrances) where a train can *safely* wait, thus without blocking the station.
Gunnar123abc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gunnar123abc »

planetmaker wrote:General advice: use path signals. Place them there (at the junction entrances) where a train can *safely* wait, thus without blocking the station.
Hello,

When I first started playing, I watched a youtube video to learn how to make stations and their signals, and I simply copied their signals. Now it appears the older methods of signals are obsolete, apparently replaced by path signals? I have never used path signals before, and am not really sure how to use them.

Currently, when making a two line station, I have the X crossing and one entry signal, one block signal, and two double exit signals. Is there a better way to do this with path signals now?

I am confused as to which junction you are speaking about, the station junction, or the junction made for the sawmill? I am not sure which signals at all to use, I barely still understand how the original signals work. If you can, pretend I am a 70 year old who needs step by step instructions.. :p which path signals should be placed and at which numbers?? (and which direction, or should they face both directions?)

I am sorry for not understanding

--

While I am posting here, I thought to show how I normally do intersections.

http://imgur.com/R3UD3vk

In that image, you can see that I tend to have to make trains go over or under the main line if they want to get on or off it. This is because I don't know how to do signals properly, but at the same time it does not always bother me doing it this way. It has only become a problem this time because I do not have enough room to do this for my sawmill route, there are many cities, hills, and industries all over the area so I do not have room to do the same thing, besides it takes the train a bit longer in my current route system, since they have to go so far around.

Could path signals be used to make this route better? (That is, to make an actual junction instead of these trailing routes?) Sometimes I wonder if I had a junction there that it could cause delays, since it is often a busy route. (2 coal mines for the main route, and 3 coal mines for the north route, all going south east)
Gunnar123abc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gunnar123abc »

I saw this on the wiki

https://wiki.openttd.org/Basic_3-Way

seems similar to what I am trying to build. I want to try it with path signals though, as suggested, so more than 1 train may enter. Can anyone explain how to make it with path signals?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

in almost all situations, path signals are both easier and better than block-/presignals, so you should focus on those.

in the first pictures, the locations 2, 4 and 5 are not safe waiting spots, because a train waiting there could block the junction for other trains. 1, 3 and 6 are safe waiting spots, so place path signals there.

in the second picture, the situation is similar, 1, 4, 5 and 6 are not safe waiting spots, so no signals there. additionally, 3 is not safe either, because the track to the station is too short, so no signal there either. this leaves a signal at 2.

to convert an old station from block signals to path signals, replace the entry signal with a one-way path signal, the exit signals with two-way path signals (facing the platform, so a train waiting on the platform can see it), and remove the plain block signal on the way out of the station. (because a train waiting there would block other trains from entering the platform)
Gunnar123abc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gunnar123abc »

Eddi, thank you so much for your explanations!! I understand it perfectly now and see what I am doing wrong!

Thank you so so much!

Return to “General OpenTTD”