All season in one game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pilot777
Engineer
Engineer

All season in one game

Post by pilot777 »

Is there a way to have tropical,winter and desert,all on one big map 2048 x 2048,and also where can i find airport.grf which can handle 25 plus planes all at same time.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: All season in one game

Post by Eddi »

no, and no.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The best season impression you can get is in arctic climate with a NewGRF which provides variable snowline (<shameless plug> e.g. OpenGFX+ Landscape or snowlinemod </shameless plug>). There's no all-climate map feasible currently.

Also the airport capacity cannot be modified by NewGRFs yet as the path planes can make on airports cannot yet be configured (except the rotation which are provided by <next shameless plug>OpenGFX+ Airports</next shameless plug>. The most efficient one is the International Airport, or airports with an identical layout (not the intercontinental!)
pilot777
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pilot777 »

Tx,planetmaker for the detailed reply.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

This raises an interesting question, would it be possible to code a GRF that alters depending on the month of the game?

IE: in January everything has a layer of snow, or at least trees are all bare, in march/april the trees begin to show life again, and so on, or is such a massive thing and graphic change not possible with GRFs currently (or ever? and thats ignoring the sheer amount of sprites you'd need in this one GRF for seasonal variants of most tiles and trees)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

No, trees ,ground and road tiles are static (unlike river and canal tiles actually).
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

I programmed once a patch for OpenTTD to do this. It works somehow for bare tiles (which get gradually snow covered automatically in th etile loop). But for trees I had to use a translation table. This was obviously before NewGRF support in OpenTTD, so nowadays such translation table is almost impossible (at least if tree and house grfs are used).
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

prissi wrote:I programmed once a patch for OpenTTD to do this. It works somehow for bare tiles (which get gradually snow covered automatically in th etile loop). But for trees I had to use a translation table. This was obviously before NewGRF support in OpenTTD, so nowadays such translation table is almost impossible (at least if tree and house grfs are used).
I still believe it's feasible moderately easily:
* currently there are at most three different ground types per climate (tropical: desert, grass, rainforest), thus one needs two bits at most. To cover also arctic and temperate grass additionally it will need at least another bit.
* It would need means to get to use the road, rail, river and canal graphics from all climates - depending on the actual 'climate' of the actual tile they're built on. This might actually prove tricky with NewGRFs.
* Snowline would and could be moved to one global variable, not stored on the tiles themselves like it is now.
* Trees still have the same relation from non-snowy to snowy or variable snowline like we have nowadays would not work. So the problem there doesn't exist more than before. Tropical trees don't have a snowy version - but that can probably be worked around.
* certainly some things I now don't think of :-)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

There are much more snowless variants of trees than snowy ones. If you do not a proper translation, after one winter you will end up with one five different trees when the snow goes away.

I think also only artic Newgrfs detect wheter they are above or below the snowline.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com

Return to “General OpenTTD”