The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods! - Discusion

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Morgs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods! - Discusion

Post by Morgs »

Trams have alluded to with the mention of HEQS and EGRTVS

Trams:
BATS
Generic Tram Set
GRTVS
German
Dutch
Modern Tram Set
Elarion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elarion »

Hi! I'm new here, can someone recommend me good scripts/grf for this game. I read this topic and saw recomendations, but last time someone post here in 2013, maby some new grf was created.

I already download:
FIRS - nice addition for this game, couse ~5 types of cargo not enough for me
OpenGFX Road Vehicles - for FIRS new cargo
OpenGFX Trains - for FIRS new cargo
eGRVTS2 - for FIRS(without OpenGFX).
ECS & FIRS Original Vehicles - not working with other grf's.

What i want:
- GRF changing cars, i want use road vehicle, but for now - train's much better. Cars cant handle cargo flow from industries(even if i start with cars, later i always build train for this industry).
- I saw lot of CityBuilder scripts, but not shure which one better to use.
- AI opponent(it shoud play against me, not help), there is lot of them, help me choose pls.
- A bit harder game, it's too easy. I saw script wich increase building cost, but its seems not rly intresting. Maby some change in economy system.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You don't need ECS & FIRS Original Vehicles. These are just recodes of the original TTD vehicles altered for ECS & FIRS support but it hasn't been updated in a long time. OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles is a better modification based on the original OpenTTD vehicles and automatically includes support for all industries an is kept up-to-date by some of the same people who develop OpenTTD.

For better cargo handling vehicle NewGRFs, look at sets like Long Vehicles, North American Road Vehicle Set, and maybe Hugarian Truck Set or German RV Set.

I ddon't have a suggestion on AI or CityBuilder scripts, but if you want more of a challenge, try joining a multiplayer server. The guys over on reddit.com/r/openttd are a pretty nice bunch from my experience.
Elarion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elarion »

Finaly i use FIRS with eGRVTS2 and OpenGFXTrains. Other mods add lot of usless vehicle like trucks with 5 capasity (dont like "cosmetic" vehicles) =\
Also i install CityBuilder script. Later i will try multiplayer, but seems it's more like sandbox, not challenge.

Thx for answer, even with all disadvanteges TTD still best transport game for me.
Panando
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panando »

For gamescripts which make the game more interesting it's hard to look beyond 'RenewedCityGrowth', in my experience it is now by far the smoothest gamescript for altering city growth to be more realistic and respect cargo delivery. For the most part it's an evolved version of older city growth game scripts. RealGrowth is also worth looking at as it uses quite a different growth model, RCG is capped in how much goods are required for maximum growth rate, AFAIK RealGrowth has no maximum growth rate, and the more (appropriate) cargo you dump into a city, the faster it grows, period. So RenewedCityGrowth is about meeting the needs of towns, while RealGrowth is about the towns responding 'absolutely' to what you do.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If you want goals, try Silicon Valley or NoCarGoal game scripts.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
kamnet

Kamnet's 2017 "most popular" NewGRF list

Post by kamnet »

From 2013:
kamnet wrote:Having recently started to participate in the Reddit OpenTTD community, I've found that even more new players there ask the question about best/must-have mods than the do here. So, I took some time to make my suggestions, which I'm copying here.

Nearly four years have passed since my original posts on this topic. In that time, there's not a lot that has changed. But what has changed is that I took up Planetmaker's suggestion and began to curate the OpenTTD wiki's NewGRF List, providing helpful categorization of NewGRFs and links to their discussion so you can better evaluate them before downloading. I won't claim it's complete, but it's fairly comprehensive. Feel free to help curate it along with me.

With that said, I will update my 2013 post below with a few updates of additions and changes since that time.

-----

I wouldn't say that there are any "must have" modifications. Plain OpenTTD by itself is very robust.

Although if there is a "must have" at this point, I would skip the stable version 1.3.2 and download a nightly instead, which has introduced the new Cargo Distribution (cargodist) patch. It radically improves distribution of passengers, mail and goods. It will move into stable OpenTTD probably in the 1.4.x version. But, still, good play can be had (and has been had since 2006) with the non-CD version.

The above is now struck out because the CargoDist patch is now part of OpenTTD's core source code, and it is MARVELOUS. It should be enabled for all game play, in my opinion. If you want an early look at what could be the future, however, look into obtaining a forked version of OpenTTD that includes NotRoadTypes, which brings up to 15 slots to add to both road and tram infrastructure east. So far new sets have used that to provide different graphics to roads, and some have experimented with adding separate trolley bus and trolley trucks.

Most NewGRFs have no problem operating with each other, and typically the few that do not expressly note which ones don't work with each other, if not going out of their way to disable themselves automatically. The only major issue you might have is that NewGRFs of the same type aren't balanced against each other (and this still remains the case in 2017). For example, trains from one set might be insanely expensive compared to trains from another site. Newer versions of NewGRFs are starting to provide options for better balancing, either through auto-detecting other sets or allowing you to modify the costs via parameter settings.

Here's my rundown for most popular NewGRFs.

INDUSTRY: FIRS has pretty much become the dominant industry set, due to frequent updates and tweaks from Andythenorth. ECS Vectors and PikkaBird Industries (PBI) are still good, but haven't had any updates or changes, save for George updating ECS' graphics with Andy's FIRS/TTD-style graphics. FIRS has spawned some children though, such as AuzInd and Stockpile Industries (SPI). OpenGFX+ Industries is also still there providing a step up from the default industries.

PLANES: The most popular is Aviators Plane Set (AV8), second would be the never-finished-always-updating World Airliners Set (WAS). Both are compatible with all available industry sets. There's a few other small sets out there as well, some of them are eyecandy, but some are good improvements such as VACE which provides VTOLs.

SHIPS: There hasn't been much change here. SQUID Ate FISH (aka FISH 2, the successor to FISH) has become the dominant set, in my opinion. FISH 1 continues to remain popular, and it's spawned at least one child, RedFISH, which has improved specs suitable for playing on Reddit OpenTTD servers. NewShips updated with newer graphics and improved specs, Sailing Ships still give you great gameplay for the 18th and 19th centuries, WSF provides you a nice set of ferries for passenger transport.

TRAINS: 2CC TrainsInNML is successor to 2CC Trains of the World, it still does the same thing but it's even bigger and better. To help bolster it, you now have add-ons such as 2CC WagonsInNML for better cargo transport. NARS 2 has gotten an update, and NARS 2 Add-On Set provides even more North American-style trains and wagons. UK Renewal Set 2 (UKRS2) still exists and plugs along, as does OpenGFX+ Trains. Newcomers include Iron Horse (from Andythenorth, author of FIRS & FISH) and the companion Termite rail set, and also AuzTrains. Japan Trains has updated, and there are now loads from regional train sets from South America, UK, Europe and Russia, spread across various sets.

ROAD VEHICLES: eGRVTS is probably the most popular set. For more variety, check out HEQS and George's Long Vehicles. Lots of smaller sets as well, and some regional variety sets. There's also an OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles set that improves the default vehicles, including adding ECS & FIRS compatibility (thus you don't need to download ECS & FIRS Original Vehicles). Road Hog from Andythenorth is a nice improvement in the area of generic but realistic-style vehicles. There are now sets dedicated to improving buses from North America, South America, Europe and Asia.

TRAMS: Much improved from four years ago is the number and variety of trams/streetcars. I am unabashed in pushing 2CC Trams, a set that I helped to conceive but do admit is not quite complete, so play at your own risk. ;) There are many other tram sets that all do a wonderful job, so I won't try to compare them but instead I say play with absolutely all of them! HEQS (again, Andy) is a particular stand out because it provides exclusively industrial trams, and Road Hog is a nice step-up from that as well. For a bit of a change, try playing with Streetcars instead (which replaces overhead tram catenary with streeetcar/trolley car wires), or maybe even the Urban Suburban Monorail set, which replaces trams with a Wuppertal-style overhead/hanging monorail.

AIRPORTS: Right now I'd only suggest OpenGFX+ Airports, which improves the default airports by adding 4-direction rotation. However, skip the outdated stable version on BaNaNaS and grab a nightly version from the OpenTTD developer repository. The nightly version has several new airport styles for airships/Zeppelins/blimps/balloons, helicopters, more dirt runway airports, and improved small airports. There are a few other ancient sets which simply change the style of graphics, but because of changes in OpenTTD code, they're glitchy and/or broken, and don't have anybody to take care of them.

STATIONS: I can't really suggest one is any more popular than the other. Most station sets are designed around a region (Canadian Stations, Dutch Stations, British Stations, etc.). Industrial Station Renewal, the older Industrial Stations, and DWE Industry station sets all are focused on industrial themes. CHIPS and VAST are fairly popular as well. Other than the addition of Australian Stations and the update to Japan Set Stations and Dutch Stations, there's not been a lot of work here in the last four years.

BUILDING SETS: It was pointed out that I previously neglected theses. There's quite a few, and some styles of sets can look nice together, others not so much. Pretty much Total Town Replacement Set is the king, having aged well over the years and one of the oldest sets around. Japan Set Buildings are also popular. The former North American City Set/Canadian Cities Set is no longer available for download, quite a blow to the community, but you can still find its predecessor, North American Building Set, which brings some architectural cool to the early- to mid-1900s. There are several sets based on European countries (UK Town Set, Swedish Houses, Polish Building Set, etc.). You should probably only pick one set, but you don't really know until you try them all.

OBJECTS: Here is where a lot of effort has been directed over the last few years. Objects don't change how the game is played, it just makes stuff look prettier and cooler. There's way too many to try to sort by popularity, and again I say play with them all, if you can! You may very well never actually get around to using most of them because they're just so cool. But if you don't know what the possibilities look like, I suggest you check out the Screenshots threads and be prepared to be blown away. :)

32bpp/Full Zoom NewGRFS: This is another significant change from 2013. OpenTTD now implements 32bpp graphics and up to 4x zoom-in level, which allows for graphics to be drawn in a more detailed (but slightly distorted) manner. They're all quite popular with those who feel that the traditional 8bpp graphics look tired, outdated or just not good. I don't feel that there is one that is any more popular than the others simply because there are too few of them that really compete with each other, most of them are great complements to each other. While the file downloads can be HUGE (many hundreds of megabytes), I do suggest you try downloading some and seeing for yourself. The visuals can be quite stunning.

With the exception of industry changes, none of these NewGRFs give you any sort of significant improvement other than visual and aesthetics. They're all just a change of pace from the vanilla. The REAL game changers come with competitive AI players (none I'd recommend over the other) and GameScripts, which give you new goals and challenges (again, none I'd recommend over others). Any single one of these will get you to up your game a bit, and almost all of them can be mixed and matched to get a really complex and competitive game. Or, you could go the opposite way and find AIs that serve exclusive tasks (like servicing only mail, only passengers trains, only airlines, only buses) and build your own cooperative game.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Very nice post, kamnet! I really appreciate the effort you put into this list :)

There are two other sets on my mind that didn't get mentioned, and they're newer than your 2013 post. They're good sets for players who don't really care about realism:
  • YETI Extended Towns & Industries: This industry set is quite different in concept from the ones you mentioned. It was designed to accommodate the openttdcoop style of play. Currently it has a problem of unserved primary industries closing after 8 years, however...
  • NUTS Unrealistic Trainset: Another openttdcoop brainchild, the main concept of this set is to always have multiple train engines that are viable at a given time, not just one engine which is "the best".
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

I like 32bpp in my games. They have to be FIRS compatible. Luckily there are quite a few nice 32bpp newgrf's around. I like especially the CZTR project. They have great trains and trucks. However I noticed that the trucks only come into play around the 70's and I usually start my game in the 30's (because of steam). So far I haven't been able to find a decent 32bpp truck set that is FIRS compatible and available from the 30's onwards. Can anyone give me advice on this?

Edit: in the meantime my search went on and I found a thread about the 32bpp version of the GRTVS set. It is not on Bananas as far I could find but luckily I could download it from NikaMaster's dropbox (bless him). This really is a nice set and answers my needs pretty well.

Return to “General OpenTTD”